View Poll Results: if a better lock-down system was available, would you drive from your manual chair?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

41 49.40%
  • no

42 50.60%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: would you drive from your manual chair?

Quote Originally Posted by Notwoodward
    i really don't think a bungee cord would do anything in an accident, especially with my powerchair. wouldn't it just pop off the first time it gets any slack?
    I was under the impression you were in a manual, re.. your avatar. A powerchair changes everything. You are in a power and wanting to transfer into a regular seat? As discussed, being in a factory seat is safer, but IMO, driving from your powerchair in a EZ lock is better than having your chair loose ready to land on you in a rollover.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    I was under the impression you were in a manual, re.. your avatar. A powerchair changes everything. You are in a power and wanting to transfer into a regular seat? As discussed, being in a factory seat is safer, but IMO, driving from your powerchair in a EZ lock is better than having your chair loose ready to land on you in a rollover.
    i transfer from both, mostly my manual though. even in my manual, i doubt a bungee would make a rollover any safer.

I disagree. Having it secured even a small bit would be better than nothing. Try it out one day and have someone pull on it vigorously and you'll see that it may move some but it'd be much more secure than loose.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    I disagree. Having it secured even a small bit would be better than nothing. Try it out one day and have someone pull on it vigorously and you'll see that it may move some but it'd be much more secure than loose.
    i guess we both just disagree. i dont think you can compare someone pulling vigorously to the force a chair would experience during an accident. that's why i choose not to use one.

jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Notwoodward
    i guess we both just disagree. i dont think you can compare someone pulling vigorously to the force a chair would experience during an accident. that's why i choose not to use one.

jesse
    I'm thinking you're not fully understanding what I'm trying to say.. having your manual affixed to something is much, much better than just sitting there freely to become a projectile. I can guarantee that if you had a bungee cord strapping it down you'd be in much better safety in a crash/rollover had it not been.

Anyone else understand what I'm saying?

How many of you driving from a car seat that break down your chair and set it in the back seat or next to you tie it down?

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyarddog
    How many of you driving from a car seat that break down your chair and set it in the back seat or next to you tie it down?
    This is a great question considering when people break a chair down, you have the wheels, cushion and frame ready to go flying in any direction. Since most place it in the backseat (and nobody replied saying that they do), I'm guessing it's not strapped down. Unless they have super long arms.

I prefer the drivers seat.I sit in this chair enough in aday,its nice to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYCUE View Post
    This is a great question considering when people break a chair down, you have the wheels, cushion and frame ready to go flying in any direction. Since most place it in the backseat (and nobody replied saying that they do), I'm guessing it's not strapped down. Unless they have super long arms.
    Heh, yeah, great question, and notice no one replied, maybe because they'd reveal their hypocrisy?

I transferred to the driver's seat in my first van but hated the process, especially in the Florida heat (getting all sweaty with each transfer, ugh), and hated my pants getting all twisted. I also hated the two times I fell and couldn't get help for an hour.

I've been driving from my manual chair since 1996 and love it. I go places quickly and am in and out in no time. I don't need help pumping my gas and I don't hesitate to take short, quick trips, which I would if I had to transfer.

I was in one accident in 1999 (not my fault) at about 45mph and the EZ-Lock did its job. I only got a little bit of a sore shoulder from the seatbelt.

I would like to get a headrest built-in, but I don't lose sleep over it.

I have always wondered what would happen to my chair in an accident. Mine sits on the passenger seat beside me most of the time. As a former EMT I have seen weird things become projectiles and figured a bad enough wreck my chair would kill me. I once picked up a guy who had roofing nails in his front seat during an accident. He had those things stuck all in his body.
    I am a para and there are days I hate transferring. Sometimes I won't do all my errands in one day because I get so sick of loading and unloading.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.