View Poll Results: if a better lock-down system was available, would you drive from your manual chair?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

41 49.40%
  • no

42 50.60%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: would you drive from your manual chair?

No. lack of proper head reast an support would prevent me from doing it, even though I hate transfers.

I think any manual chair user who CAN transfer to drive, won't be interested as to cost as well. Hand controls alone are a lot cheaper that a ramp or a lift to get the chair in.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I would not consider driving from my manual chair. Too much that could go wrong. Better to transfer into the seat and I find a car or van seat to be a welcome change from my chair.
    "If everything is under control, you are going too slow." - Mario Andretti

First Post- C6-7 quad 17yrs
    Hi to all, I have driven from my manual chair with the ez-lock for 14 years with no problems at all. My chair I run now (Top End Titanium Terminator)has a custom bracket for the ez-lock. The head rest support has not been needed . I do drive a Dodge minivan with a lowered floor so high acceleration has not been a issue .Transfers are the reason for the van . I sit in my chair for 16 - 18 hrs daily so I feel more support and stable in it than if I were in the passenger seat of a chair.

I bought a pickup truck a few years ago and have driven from my chair , mainly because of my shoulders and wrists have started to go the past few years and it keeps the wear and tear down from all of the driving I do ..
    I would like to have a safer way to drive but I have opted to drive from my chair, I can put the seat back in my chair but then would need a folding chair , and I am getting into a power chair after the Orlando Expo this weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyarddog
    I have driven from my manual chair with the ez-lock for 14 years with no problems at all. My chair I run now (Top End Titanium Terminator)has a custom bracket for the ez-lock. The head rest support has not been needed .
    Have you ever been involved in a crash in this vehicle? That would be when a problem would arise.

C.

So let me see if I have this right, if they couldn't transfer, TR and fuentes would never drive? They'd wait until someone else could drive them around? I've heard it all now..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    So let me see if I have this right, if they couldn't transfer, TR and fuentes would never drive? They'd wait until someone else could drive them around? I've heard it all now..

I drive from my chair , I don't see the big deal.Yes, sh*t can happen-that's life. I just choose to live mine and I can't without my independence, if that means I drive from my chair then so be it.

Hell, I broke my neck while riding in a car seat!

I have a 6 way transfer seat base, and as long as I am able to transfer,
    I will keep driving from the van seat. It feels safer and more comfortable
    for "ME".

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    So let me see if I have this right, if they couldn't transfer, TR and fuentes would never drive? They'd wait until someone else could drive them around?
    Honestly? I don't know what I would do if I couldn't transfer into the driver's seat.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Have you ever been involved in a crash in this vehicle? That would be when a problem would arise.

C.
    No I have not been involved in a crash with this van. What problems do you invision that would not happen while driving in a car seat ? If you are hit from behind would your head snap foward or back? Would a head rest help? My chair is fully locked down and I use a seatbelt. If I worried about being in a crash all the time I would stop driving. Anyway the thread starter was only asking if people would drive with their chair if there was a better way to secure it. The ez-lock I use with my chair has worked for me. I would like to see what his idea of a better lock is.