Thread: Toes dislocating randomly - need help please

Toes dislocating randomly - need help please

Hi - I'm new to the forums but hoping someone out there can help.

My wife has this issue where her toes will pop out of the socket randomly (at least we haven't found a common theme yet) and it is extremely painful for her. This has been happening off and on for the last 10 years but appears to be increasing as of late. She's in her early 40's and so far we can't seem to find a doctor that has seen this before or is willing to take it seriously. Pressure or tight confining spaces on her feet seem to make this more likely to happen - she sleeps with her feet outside the covers, wears loose sandels, etc.

She also used to have circulatory issues with her toes in the winter but we seemed to have solved it by buying her hunting socks and shoes that are 1/2 size too big (thick socks in her normal shoes would restrict her toes and raise the chance of a toe popping out).

We've found only one person who says this happened to her as well, but it stopped on its own.

Can anyone please shed some light here? Its really becoming a problem.

Thanks in advance!

What level and ASIA category of spinal cord injury does she have (you do know that these forums are for people with spinal cord injury and their family members, don't you)?

Suggest she see a good podiatrist or orthopedist about this problem. It is not something that happens to people with SCI.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by zanshin8777
    Hi - I'm new to the forums but hoping someone out there can help.

My wife has this issue where her toes will pop out of the socket randomly (at least we haven't found a common theme yet) and it is extremely painful for her. This has been happening off and on for the last 10 years but appears to be increasing as of late. She's in her early 40's and so far we can't seem to find a doctor that has seen this before or is willing to take it seriously. Pressure or tight confining spaces on her feet seem to make this more likely to happen - she sleeps with her feet outside the covers, wears loose sandels, etc.

She also used to have circulatory issues with her toes in the winter but we seemed to have solved it by buying her hunting socks and shoes that are 1/2 size too big (thick socks in her normal shoes would restrict her toes and raise the chance of a toe popping out).

We've found only one person who says this happened to her as well, but it stopped on its own.

Can anyone please shed some light here? Its really becoming a problem.

Thanks in advance!
    Interphalangeal (IP) joint dislocations occur usually when the toes have been hyperextended, there have been neurovascular compromise that has damaged the joint, and ligaments are loose or ruptured.

The treatment is to avoid hyperextensions of the toe joints, correct any neurovascular compromise, make sure that the joints are reduced as quickly as possible, and get x-rays to rule out ligamentous and other causes of dislocation.

In my opinion, it is better to wear thick socks and shoes (which prevent hyperextension of the joints) than to wear open sandals. I would avoid foot massage.

Wise.