Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4th caregiver appointment no-show

I wish you luck in your search, sorry it's rough going.

Ha, I was so desperate today that I stopped a few foreign workers in the streets to ask if they know anyone looking for a job. Talk about networking! I also have trust issues and I end up with ppl walking all over me.

10 years ago it was so much easier finding an aide than it is now. When I put an ad in the paper we get an onslaught of responses. However, we let the machine pick it up and we sift through them later. We used to pick up the phone and set up an interview. We would wait and wait and no show. That is a half hour to an hour wasted time and it is time that could have been used for someone else. We will call back the "nicer" sounding people first. I mean the ones that sound happy and seem to be in good moods. There are some calls that we get that sound like their dogs just died. I would much rather have a person who is happy and no experience than someone who is going to mope around and tons of experience. I have found that we have better luck this way than any other. We don't have as many no shows and we have found the more reliable people as well. But I would screen the calls and then pick who you call back.
    Injured 08-09-98
    C4-6

-I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

I've started doing that Bobo. Screening calls does help.

I've also got the attitude that I'm searching for a caregiver that... deserves to work with me.

Absolutely...I'm happy its working for you. You can tell a lot from one phone call
    Injured 08-09-98
    C4-6

-I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Cast your net wide. Print out flyers and post them on nursing school and physical therapy school bulletin boards. The key is to make your advertisement as clear and concise as possible regarding the duties of the position beforehand. That way you can prescreen the potential assistants.

Contact your local center for independent living. There are also other community programs that you can take advantage of. Lastly, don't forget about the social work department at your local hospitals. They can help you to find caregivers as well. I know that "Faith in Action" used to have an interfaith volunteer caregiving program which was sponsored by the Robert Wood Foundation. I know that Easter Seals also has a program you might want to look into.
    “You need to take care of yourself first. If you don't care for yourself, you can't take care of someone else.”