Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets look at this realistically

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S
    Although there procedure may help somewhat personally independance, bb, and sexual function are my main needs. giving me a little more sensation or some movement lower will not get me out of my chair or away from cathes and diapers..
    You seem to be looking for a quick cure. I doubt there will every be one.
    What I do believe is that there will be various stages in gaining new function. And it will take everything we try and probably things we have not heard of yet. In my son, we have not seen any regression what so ever from any of his multiple therapys Each treatment we have tried has worked to to some degree to partially restore some function. And each treatment adds to that which was gained from the previous one. On that basis, we continue to combine therapys and will not stop until our latest therapy gains no new function. Where that will be, only God knows cause I do not. So far, he has gained the most in feeling in his skin throughout his entire body. As a C-6 quadriplegic, being able to self-transfer to a car is proof that muscles are firing and working again, especially the triceps, abdominals, and back muscles. He is now able to self-cath and does his own bowel program without assistance. He can dress himself and put on his own shoes and socks. He puts himself to bed at night. He now writes his own checks, uses a computer mouse, and last Easter, unbuttoned and removed his dress shirt somehow. Continued stem cell therapy and magnetic therapy will produce even more results. It won't be long till the only thing left to repair is the spinal cord's controlling of lower legs and feet. After that, bowel and bladder which he already feels.

Quote Originally Posted by kenf
    Eric , I'm no doctor to give advice lol. i put in a foley. it's like this big black cloud has lifted from me. no more accidents , drink all i want and i go outside all day with no worries. if i get bladder cancer or UTI , i'll deal with it when it happens. i was ready to wack myself from the fustration. now i only have to deal with pain and massive crazy spasms. one out 3 , not bad.

Kenf you may be right. I may have to try that route. I have some fear that a foley may cause long term damage to my penis. I still get uti's from time to time so thats not a worry to me, cancer i can see your point of view with that also. my biggest worry would be that if there ever were a cure that maybe my penis would be useless because of a foley.

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Shooter
    You seem to be looking for a quick cure. I doubt there will every be one.
    What I do believe is that there will be various stages in gaining new function. And it will take everything we try and probably things we have not heard of yet. In my son, we have not seen any regression what so ever from any of his multiple therapys Each treatment we have tried has worked to to some degree to partially restore some function. And each treatment adds to that which was gained from the previous one. On that basis, we continue to combine therapys and will not stop until our latest therapy gains no new function. Where that will be, only God knows cause I do not. So far, he has gained the most in feeling in his skin throughout his entire body. As a C-6 quadriplegic, being able to self-transfer to a car is proof that muscles are firing and working again, especially the triceps, abdominals, and back muscles. He is now able to self-cath and does his own bowel program without assistance. He can dress himself and put on his own shoes and socks. He puts himself to bed at night. He now writes his own checks, uses a computer mouse, and last Easter, unbuttoned and removed his dress shirt somehow. Continued stem cell therapy and magnetic therapy will produce even more results. It won't be long till the only thing left to repair is the spinal cord's controlling of lower legs and feet. After that, bowel and bladder which he already feels.
    I'm not looking for a quick cure I know it will take time and work but I have seen nothing that suggests that a person who takes repeated therapies will eventually receive enough function to be independent. I want to see someone go from a wheelchair to walking with a caine or some other light apperatus. the time frame doesn't matter I just want to see that its possible before I buy completely into any of experimental as most of these therapies.

My criteria is less demanding than any of the clincal trial criteria I believe.

eric-

dan cummings. at pdub in san diego for about 4 years. was in chair for 3 years before he went. walking with a walker and was c-level. he's now at journey forward in boston.
    working every day to get out of my chair.

Or just wear a external cath and a leg back and cath every 4 hours, that what I do, works like a charm, never wet.

Kenf you may be right. I may have to try that route. I have some fear that a foley may cause long term damage to my penis. I still get uti's from time to time so thats not a worry to me, cancer i can see your point of view with that also. my biggest worry would be that if there ever were a cure that maybe my penis would be useless because of a foley.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I want to see someone go from a wheelchair to walking with a caine or some other light apperatus. the time frame doesn't matter I just want to see that its possible before I buy completely into any of experimental as most of these therapies.

My criteria is less demanding than any of the clincal trial criteria I believe.
    I believe that it will take more than one round of stem cell transplants for most SCIs. Beike did not start doing any SCIs until 2005 and I met a guy from Romania who was on his 4 round of stem cell injections. Another guy I met was there in 2006 and he was 20th something for and SCI. My son was number 45 something in 2007. He just got his second series of injections. So, it may be several more years before you have your absolute proof that you look for. In the mean time, you muscles not functioning on their own will continue to wither and your associated bones will demineralize. Then there is the issue of skin ulcers, infections, and other side effects that numerous persons post in this forum.

I hope your dreams will come true. For me and my son, we ain't gonna wait. I believe it is cheaper to gain function than to remain the same and pay for the associated maintenance (and that goes for both $$ and body deterioration).

Quote Originally Posted by tmorris381
    eric-

dan cummings. at pdub in san diego for about 4 years. was in chair for 3 years before he went. walking with a walker and was c-level. he's now at journey forward in boston.
    Oh yea? I would like to learn more if possible.

what procedure did he undergo?

is kinda wierd , i use get woodies all the time looking at hot women. i haven't had one since i put it in. ??????????????
    oh well

Quote Originally Posted by kenf
    is kinda wierd , i use get woodies all the time looking at hot women. i haven't had one since i put it in. ??????????????

I never got woodies to begin with. Good for you on the woodies to begin with but so sorry for the end of it.

Do you think foley has caused the end of it? I've been learning about the Suprapubic cath. Appearently this is what is recommended as of late over the urethal foley..