Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets look at this realistically

Lets look at this realistically

we place a lot of hope on stems cells but even Dr. Young has said that it will probably take a combination of therapies to cure SCI. Now we haven't even gotten any form of stem cells to sci human clincal trials. We don't know if they are safe or even effective in the spinal cord. how are we supposed to receive stem cells and a combination of other therapies that all have yet reach clincal trials in any reasonable amount of time. How is that even possible? Why aren't poeple in the sci community more honest about the 5 to 10 years thing? 10 years seem like really large stretch in my opinion. I think right now all the effort is really for curing the next generation and maybe the researchers and doctors know it.

I find it sad really. I bet the cure has been found but expensive trials and beauracratic regulation is slowing it to a grind. People get angry at those who spend money on risky possibly fraudulent procedures yet they think its a better idea to throw money at the black hole we call sci research in america. I think the odds of benefiting from either is about even.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S
    Now we haven't even gotten any form of stem cells to sci human clincal trials. We don't know if they are safe or even effective in the spinal cord.
    Disagree, the Chinese (Beike Co.) have been doing stem cell transplants since 2001 and have used them on over 3000 humans thus far. Don't you think that qualifies as human clinical trials? I will agree that there haven't been that many persons who have received stem cell transplants in China for SCI. My son was somewhere in the number 45 range in 2007. We just completed his second round of stem cell injections. Why, because we believed that it works. And frankly, I didn't want to wait for 10 years while his bones demineralized, muscles atrophied, and skin to break down so he would have a very slim chance to participate in a clinical trial. To even participate in a clinical trial, you would have to be lucky enough to live in the same city where the trials would be conducted. Just don't see a group of doctors paying to fly someone in from Australia to participate in a clinical trial. They will choose persons who are close and convenient.
    Last edited by 6 Shooter; 08-03-2008 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Shooter
    Disagree, the Chinese (Beike Co.) have been doing stem cell transplants since 2001 and have used them on over 3000 humans thus far. Don't you think that qualifies as human clinical trials? I will agree that there haven't been that many persons who have received stem cell transplants in China for SCI. My son was somewhere in the number 45 range in 2007. We just completed his second round of stem cell injections. Why, because we believed that it works. And frankly, I didn't want to wait for 10 years while his bones demineralized, muscles atrophied, and skin to break down so he would have a very slim chance to participate in a clinical trial. To even participate in a clinical trial, you would have to be lucky enough to live in the same city where the trials would be conducted. Just don't see a group of doctors paying to fly someone in from Australia to participate in a clinical trial. They will choose persons who are close and convenient.

trust me to most of the pseudo researchers on this board will not say Beike's work qualifies as a human clinical trial. plus Beikes work isn't published so its all considered ancedotal. I haven't heard any reports of Beikes working returning anyone to there feet independantly. Although there procedure may help somewhat personally independance, bb, and sexual function are my main needs. giving me a little more sensation or some movement lower will not get me out of my chair or away from cathes and diapers..

I still say although researchers work hard I don't believe the can grasp the situation without going through it. put some diapers on these guys and shove a tube up there penis every 3 hours or even worse let them fill there new diapers every once in awhile and see if they still believe going through the long expensive clincal trial process is important. lets see how fast they'd be heading overseas looking a way around the beauracratic bullshit all done in the name of supposedly "ethical" research.

Why are you in diapers at T6? And why cath so often? Every 3 hours is way frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    Why are you in diapers at T6? And why cath so often? Every 3 hours is way frequent.
    I think Eric was just making a point.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

I bet the cure has been found but expensive trials and beauracratic regulation is slowing it to a grind. People get angry at those who spend money on risky possibly fraudulent procedures yet they think its a better idea to throw money at the black hole we call sci research in america. I think the odds of benefiting from either is about even.
    I find this kind of uneducated, unsubstantiated comment to be particularly frustrating. It serves no good purpose and only allows others to say that "they heard somewhere" something really ignorant and potentially libelous (when a particular scientist or lab's name is attached).

C.

I haven't heard any reports of Beike working returning anyone to there feet independantly.
    Go to http://www.stemcellschina.com/conten...2/289/lang,en/ and read David Aldirch's story. I met the man over a month ago while he was receiving his second round of stem cells. He started off as almost blind and a quad from an accident off of a boat. His first set of stem cells in 2006 gave him return of quality sight and he is now walking on his own in a swimming pool. He was one of the ones featured in the documentary "SuperCells" that I was told was shown on National Geographic. I have that video and his story. You can get a copy of the video by contacting him at daldrich57@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    I find this kind of uneducated, unsubstantiated comment to be particularly frustrating. It serves no good purpose and only allows others to say that "they heard somewhere" something really ignorant and potentially libelous (when a particular scientist or lab's name is attached).

C.
    well if a person reads a phrase that begains with the statement "I bet" and takes that as fact rather than the posters personal opinion I'd say that person can't be protected from there own lack of comprehension in the first place..

if every comment has to be thoroughly substantiated before commenting whats the point of having a public forum?

Quote Originally Posted by betheny

If I don't cath every 3 hours I end up wet. Which actually I still end up wet even with a cath every 3 hours. the diapers are for the same reason. I'm wet every day basically and when I wake in the mourning..

Eric , I'm no doctor to give advice lol. i put in a foley. it's like this big black cloud has lifted from me. no more accidents , drink all i want and i go outside all day with no worries. if i get bladder cancer or UTI , i'll deal with it when it happens. i was ready to wack myself from the fustration. now i only have to deal with pain and massive crazy spasms. one out 3 , not bad.
    Last edited by kenf; 08-04-2008 at 12:01 PM.
    oh well