Thread: Shortening front upholstery

Shortening front upholstery

I have a bit of a problem with the lenght of the upholstery on my manual chair. With the width of the seat I had to get the depth of the seat is longer than I would really like and digs into the back of my legs. Is there a way to shorten the front edge of the upholstery or pad it some way?

I know having a super wide manual chair sounds really bad but I admit I do have one heck of a fat ass. I have been using a power chair for 4 chairs now and really want to up my activity level and inch my way up and down the hallways in my building every day now in my manual chair building up my pushing endurance. All I can say when I hit certain areas of carpet right now is thank God for quad knobs.

If just using it for exercise purposes, if you can't shorten the front, could you stuff a pillow or 2 behind your back to scoot your butt forward an inch or 2? Just a thought.

Every journey starts with the 1st step. Except for us, ours start with the 1st push. Good job getting motivated, makes me wanna get moving too!

I thought of that but I need a lot of forward center of gravity adjustment and seat dump for balance and to make the chair easier to push. When I put something behind me it disrupted my balance and made pushing much more difficult.

What model of wheelchair?

A few years back I broke both of my legs and I needed a temporary chair so I could use removable extending footrest because I had casts & external hardware on my legs.

My regular chair was rigid w/ fixed footrest. I purchased a Quickie GP ( rigid frame with removable footrest) on E-Bay. When it arrived it was the correct width the seller had described but the depth was incorrect & too deep.

In that situation it so happened that the screw holes lined up in such a way that I could take out the front two screws on each side of upholstery, slide upholstery off metal bar and then was able to fold upholstery under ( without cutting) and just screwed it down tightly on each side in second hole. It was folded under but worked fine for my purposes and need at the time. That reduced it by about 2" and fixed problem.

I don't know if my description is clear. It might help for you to mention chair make and model so others can get specific idea of what you are dealing with.

Just saw SCI OTR asked question I wondered. model make.

good luck

+1

i've tried this with good success in the past

gl,
    -dale

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay
    A few years back I broke both of my legs and I needed a temporary chair so I could use removable extending footrest because I had casts & external hardware on my legs.

My regular chair was rigid w/ fixed footrest. I purchased a Quickie GP ( rigid frame with removable footrest) on E-Bay. When it arrived it was the correct width the seller had described but the depth was incorrect & too deep.

In that situation it so happened that the screw holes lined up in such a way that I could take out the front two screws on each side of upholstery, slide upholstery off metal bar and then was able to fold upholstery under ( without cutting) and just screwed it down tightly on each side in second hole. It was folded under but worked fine for my purposes and need at the time. That reduced it by about 2" and fixed problem.

I don't know if my description is clear. It might help for you to mention chair make and model so others can get specific idea of what you are dealing with.

good luck

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    What model of wheelchair?
    It is an A-4.

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay

good luck
    I see what you mean, I wonder if I could take off all the screws and pull the upholsery back so the excess hangs off the back? Thanks a lot.

It looks like that might work, going out the back...

g/l & let us know

A-4 manual
    pg.23
    http://www.invacare.com/doc_files/1110545.pdf

Chesbay, I also have a Quickie GP. I tried your method, and it worked great! Thank you very much.