Thread: Need advice on home mods

Need advice on home mods

We are going to be adding on to our home this year to make it more accesible to our 9 year old para daugher. I want to know how big you would suggest the bathroom being or her bedroom. Our house is over 90 years old and the existing bathroom is way to small. We have been lifting her in and out of the tub, but we know that can't always be the case as she is a growing girl. The only doorways that are narrow are to her bedroom and the existing bathroom. I appreciate all the help.

hi

I am a quad and use a shower comode chair. My first bathroom had a 4X5 foot roll in shower. not sure how big total size of room was.

the house i am living in now i added a 10X12 foot total size bathroom the floor is all tiled with slight slope to shower drain tiled the walls 6foot high where shower head is 4ft high around rest. with no shower curtain or divider walls in bathroom it could be smaller. With a long hose on hand held shower makes cleaning bathroom easy.

i wouldnt waste money on special handicap sink or toilet. I have a regular sink without any cabinets under it. my first bathroom had a handicap stool my comode chair wouldnt fit over it.

3foot wide doors are nice. with her being a para she has more options. like she can probably easily use a handicap sink & may even like a larger handicap stool to transfer onto? and a lot of paras transfer themselves into shower chairs in regular tubs showers? ive just always used shower commode chair and it works well.

think a 10X12 is plenty big. unless you want to put dividing walls shower curtains etc. or something in there.

be sure to plan it out with your daughter. dont just assume she would like something. I have been through that a couple times things look a lot differant when your standing up walking around.

one of the guys posted on here earlier has a website to show modifications he made.

anyhow goodluck to ya

Want to be involved in reasearch. like a guinee pig

Are you going to be using an architect for your remodelling? If so, be sure the one you use is familiar with the ADA rules, dimensions, etc. The fellow we used was well worth the money, as he even suggested things we hadn't thought of!

Roll in showers would provide more independence for your daughter as she gets older, and they come as a whole unit (in fact, check the "Exchange' forum, I think someone was offering one for sale).

As for sink, you need to be sure that the pipes underneath aren't going to come in contact with her legs. My son has gotten two nasty burns when the insulation we had wrapped around the pipes came loose and he was in contact with the hot water pipe.

There are hinges you can get for doors if you're not going to actually widen the door; they're made so they give you a couple more inches of width going through the door. Sammons Preston has them, and MOM medical supply carries them, too, I think.

Thanks for the input.

I appreciate all input. I was also wondering if anyone here has "pocket doors". They slide right into the wall and then you don't have to worry about hinges etc. I also wondered if you would reccomend a shower chair or a bench seat in a shower. Our contractor has all the ADA info and has already been a great help. Heather is definitely giving her input on things. The color scheme she has in mind does have me kind of worried though. Oh well, I guess I should expect anything from a 9 year old!!

Hi, Laura, Do you have an OT who can help with the shower chair? My thinking is that in a shower chair, she wouldn't have to transfer over to the bench.

Re the pocket doors - will your daughter be able to open/close them?

Re colors - My son chose his room colors while still in rehab (and on pain meds!), and picked - purple trim - I mean Crayola purple! Those colors lasted a year and a half, and now he's repainted a more liveable cream with a reddish brown trim!!!!

Originally posted by LauraD:

I was also wondering if anyone here has "pocket doors". They slide right into the wall and then you don't have to worry about hinges etc.
    Hi Laura, I recently did a remodel on my 45-year old home. We have 2 pocket doors and they are very convenient, if you can use them. They are not "quad friendly" since they require good finger dexterity to work the latch. However, if I had full use of my hands all of the rooms would have pocket doors.

Wide 36-inch doors are a must. I replaced all my doors and entry into rooms is easy and obstruction free. I never scrape a door-jam now.

For my master bedroom and bath, I took a wall out so I had a 25x15.5 foot room to work with. After installing closets I was left with a 13.5x12 room. Which is big enough for a wheelchair to maneuver on both sides of a queen size bed.

My bathroom is 12.5x7. This gave me enough room for a pedestal sink, claw foot tub, and 6x7 shower stall. The toilet sits in the corner of the shower on the entry side. Cabinets are recessed into the wall.

Other modifications include, intercom/phone next to the toilet, heated floors, thermostat and switches at wheelchair height, wheelchair closet, supply closet, and cloths dresser built into the closet. I also have X10 remote switches for all the lights so once in bed I can control them.

I also wondered if you would reccomend a shower chair or a bench seat in a shower.
    I will be installing a fold-up shower bench as soon as I finish the tile. I use a rolling shower chair and have enough room to freely turn around.

Our contractor has all the ADA info and has already been a great help.
    Before starting this project, I suggest putting everything on paper and walk through a checklist with the contractor. Do not rely on memory.

Good luck.

Noel

[This message was edited by Noel on Feb 27, 2002 at 09:50 AM.]

LauraD

I have put on my website several pages on home modifications. There are photos of the bathroom showing the rollin shower upstair and a floor plan for the bathroom with rollin shower. The floor plan gives dimensions. Also a photo of the bathroom sink that is easy to roll under with a wheelchair. Go to my site http://home.att.net/~ron.mcgrath/ and under Spinal Cord Injuries there are different pages to look at.

My son is a C5-C6 quad. With this bath setup he is able to do all his personal care including showering on his own.

You can also contact DRS (dept of rehabilitative services) and they will come to your house and check out the plans and give great suggestions.

Not in my state

In California, and a number of other states, neither DVR or any other state or government agency other than the VA helps with home modification costs or construction. You are on your own in California.