Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cure is on the move

The cure is on the move

Just a few clips from a lab visit from over here earlier this summer.

The lab is investigating several types of human stem cells in aninal studies on SCI.

Below, the professor showing an injured lab spine. Sorry about the cables, the LCD was made for us to see better.

Below, they are showing how neurons connect in the experiment. They in fact went trough the whole process, cutting a spine, injecting and so on. They did a lot of work for us to see, trough all the stations in the lab.
    Last edited by Leif; 08-01-2008 at 07:10 PM.

Thank you, Leif. Can you tell us more?

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Susan M
    Thank you, Leif. Can you tell us more?

Susan
    Susan. The lab in fact also got funding from the Christopher Reeve foundation a time ago. -Some of their work is to test different stem cells on SCI. They have used bone marrow stem cells etc., and also working on the more difficult neural stem cells, which they get from another lab from the UiO collaboration during some types of brain surgeries. hESC is also wanted to study from New Year on, cause now we have a law allowing it. The aim though, is to find the best cell system to move forward on, -remember this is basic research. But I can inform that many at the congress in Atlanta a couple of months ago were very pleased with the studies on SCI from this lab. I’m off to Oslo the 13th to se more, as for what we SCI'ed can help. They also do DNA and other sudies as for this.

Thanks, Leif. So much promising research. My husband, Colin, and I spent last Friday at Dr. Stephen Davies lab in Denver. I am in the process of summarizing and will post on the U2FP website very soon.

Susan , and here to i hope.
    oh well

Hello Leif,

Thanks for the info, I agree, the cure is on the move!

Something is happening here in Italy too, not much, but better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by kenf
    Susan , and here to i hope.
    I will post a link on CC.

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Susan M
    Thanks, Leif. So much promising research. My husband, Colin, and I spent last Friday at Dr. Stephen Davies lab in Denver. I am in the process of summarizing and will post on the U2FP website very soon.
    Great Susan. Hah, a nice way to spend the summer vacation, right ? There is some good research, I agree, and it’s good to see lab’s focusing on the repair of the injured cord. The lab here has also been into some serious studies on interneurons to map them and their role with sensory neurons and motoneurons to better understand which therapies to aim for. They now have equipment to watch live several hundred neurons in play at the same time, which is a great thing for better to understand the cord. They have also made functional motoneurons in animal studies with stem cell research. They now plan to test different types of human stem cells (Bone marrow, neural, UCB stem cells) in different animals with different types of injuries to try to find out the best pathway for therapies for humans with SCI. This in combination with DNA and other studies they perform. They also want to study hESC for SCI from New Year as I wrote above but that takes some more equipment etc., so funding will be an issue as for the latter here. I could have written more about the lab visit here, but one gets the grasp I figure –things are happening several places in this world. Oh, the lab professor Joel Glover runs also has some contact with Keirstead and others too, just to mention that.

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla
    Hello Leif,

Thanks for the info, I agree, the cure is on the move!

Something is happening here in Italy too, not much, but better than nothing.
    Right Paolo, it is on the move, great to here what you say from Italy too. Keep us updated and good luck.

Here is also a link to our last SCI magazine; on page 12 to 15 one can see some more images from the lab visit. http://www.nhf.no/novus/upload/file/...%202008-02.pdf

Last edited by Leif; 08-04-2008 at 08:37 AM.

care on the move

i keep reading about spinal cord research. can the doctor's not give us what they know now.or can some one tel me other wise p.s try to keep it simple