Thread: A night to Remember

A night to Remember

Hi Everyone,

Just had to share this somewhere. My daughter is going dancing tonight. Some 15yo's would have been most concerned about their hair or dress. M's biggest hurtle was shoes. Finding dressy shoes that fit her orthotics, learning to walk in the durned things (4 PT sessions!) It really has been something seeing how hard she has worked on this. Tonight she is going to a simple highschool dance with a really nice guy (the same kid who brought "Waynes World" to watch at the hospital when she was still on morphine- she says the movie isn't nearly as funny now w/o the narcotics!) And there will be people there that have no clue what she has been through, and may not even notice. I think I'm just as pleased with this as she is. I thought I'd never see this day.

Cheer!

M.Elston SCI Mom to 15YO incomplete L2-3

How absolutely wonderful! What a marvelous achievement for your daughter, and what accomplishment you must feel, also! Are we going to see pictures?!!!!!!!

Speaking of 'Wayne's World', every time I saw the Olympic snowboarders on the podium, I thought, 'it's 'Bill and Ted at the Olympics'!

What a fun day!! and it must make you all kind of "well up". Each accomplishment means so much!
    Many more dances to come for her.....Linda (I am from Illinois too.)

Shoes

Originally posted by M.Elston:

... Finding dressy shoes that fit her orthotics, ...
    I bet your daughter had a wonderful time. I'd love to see photos if you've got some.

I'm also very interested in finding out what type of shoes you ended up buying. I'm a L2 incomplete and wear an orthotic on my left leg. Finding anything to wear other than trainers is almost impossible - I've been wearing the same shoes since my accident 2.5 years ago . (And this from a person who couldn't leave the house to buy a newspaper without coming back with at least one pair of shoes!). If anyone has any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

From now on may she truly dance as if no one is watching. Oh, to have such a second chance!

Fabulous Night!

M. had a wonderful, fabulous night! I stayed at the home of her date and watched a chick flick w/ the other mom. They got back to the house about midnight and she was still bouncing off the walls. (she said, "Mom, I never knew how many interpretations there were of 'semi-formal'" Evidently there was every kind of attire represented from strip-club chic to up-scale prom.) I hope I can get a pix on disc, since I only took my regular camera.

The shoes we found are kind of a low boot, in an extra-wide, with 1 1/2 inch heals and pointed toes. We actually found them at Shoe Carnival, after finding nothing at our local specialty shoe store, or Naturalizer. I had to endure a lecture at one store where an uppity salesperson informed me that wearing the orthotics with any kind of heals defeats the purpose, and 'Dr. Smuck" who made them would tell me the same thing. I got in his face and told him that neither he, nor the good doctor were a 15yo girl going to a dance, and DANCING was more important than his unsolicited opinion. Then I turned on my heals and left.

Cheer!

M.Elston SCI Mom to 15YO incomplete L2-3