Since your girlfriend is a "T" level
    injury, you will probably be told that
    standing is good. My daughter being a
    C6-7 had to ask and was then told it
    isn't necessary. Well, we had the doctor
    write a prescription and now own a standing
    frame that insurance paid for. She stands
    every day.

Thank you all for all your suggestions and advice. She's been in rehab for a month now. Things started up slow because she had a bad pressure sore. The rehab center has trolleys on which you can lie prone and move around yourself. She was doing PT and OT even before she could sit. They help her on to a standing frame for 30 min to an hour everyday. From yesterday she has been promoted to stand using parallel bars. There's talk of calipers. Things are speeding up. They are getting her a new wheelchair today. This site had wonderful tips when we were deciding on the specs for the chair.
    There is a pool for hydrotherapy at the center, but they don't use it now because it is the dry season and there's scarcity of water

Spasms

Is there a recommended way to reduce spasms? My fiance has difficulty most of the times when she tries to cath herself sitting on a wheelchair. The rehab people are giving her some suppressant, but it doesn't seem to help much. I'd like to find out if there is an equivalent to baclofen available in India. There were some earlier posts here that discouraged using baclofen unless really necessary. Are there any side-effects to using spasticity-reducing drugs?

iyerraj, baclofen is most effective for suppressing spasticity (hyper-reflexia and stiffness) and does not prevent spasms (spontaneous movements of the limbs sometimes associated with stimuli) unless such a high dose of baclofen is given that it weakens the muscles. There is, to my knowledge, no really good suppressant of spasms without weakening muscles. Your fiancee needs to experiment with different positions and catheterization approaches to does not produce as much spasm. How do other people do this? Wise.