Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: medicare paying for family members to provide home care?

Spike, in CA, if the person lives with a family member, they are expected to provide up to 8 hours daily care.

Getting divorced would not help. In CA, Medicaid does spot checks. If you get divorced "on paper" only and still live together, they consider this Medicaid fraud and can both fine and prosecute you for this.

(KLD)

I wouldn't recommend filing for a divorce if you live in CA. They are pretty strict with their standards. I do know of one person that filed for divorce and moved their address to another residence, moved all their stuff to a relative's house. They got away with it, but I would advise against it. Too risky.
    “You need to take care of yourself first. If you don't care for yourself, you can't take care of someone else.”

Greetings from another NOVA-ite stuck in traffic with you.

Quote Originally Posted by joseph
    In Virginia, they started this program about 2 years ago now that pays family members but not the owner of the home.So I manage my sons care but I the dad cannot be paid because he lives in my home, but my other children who help can be paid.Its called "EDCD or Elderly or Disabled with Consumer-Directed Waiver" and its run thru a Medicaid Home and CommunityBased waiver. If u live in Virginia u can contact Lacasa email is: lacasainc@comcast.net ph# is 8043530461

Dear Joseph-

Have you and your son been to Virginia DRS?

Medicare paying family caregivers

DaveHo,
    Yes, they currently have a CBA Program in Texas that pays family members, that are caregivers for disabled family members. Your doctor must write you a script determining you're definitely disabled and will need help with taking care of yourself. Such as, making meals, dressing, shower, etc. In Texas they call it Evercare/United Health Plan. Basically, it's a Medicaid guided program. I'm currently waiting to be interviewed as a caregiver for our daughter, 22yrs old. I'm not sure, but what I read on Medicaid site most states provide this type of plan. I know that they do in West Virginia and Maryland. Google for a Community Based Assistance program or Integrated Care Management, or Health and Human Services (Medicaid) online in your state.
    Aggie Mom 2007

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Spike, in CA, if the person lives with a family member, they are expected to provide up to 8 hours daily care.

Getting divorced would not help. In CA, Medicaid does spot checks. If you get divorced "on paper" only and still live together, they consider this Medicaid fraud and can both fine and prosecute you for this.

(KLD)
    IS THIS WHAT WE CALL FREEDOM. I'M SO PISSED OFF READING THIS I'D LIKE TO PUNCH A FREEDOM FIGHTER REBUBLICAN IN THE FACE.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    Is there much of a difference between what it costs for a vent dependent quad with 24/7 help to live in their own home and one who lives in a nursing home?

And does anyone know what the overall health status is (less illness, less doctor care, fewer infections, fewer drugs, fewer pressure sores, fewer surgeries, etc.) between those who live in their own home versus those who live in a nursing home? Not to mention QOL issues.

Bob.
    The difference can be significant, and vary by state (for all factors identified above). If one is cognizant and able to direct their own care, as well as not suffering any additional or secondary chronic condition/illness, then institutionalization is not only costly, but wasteful and inefficient.

Here is a pdf brief (attached file) I received recently on this issue, specifically -
    State Long-Term Care Reform in Illinois: Medicaid Long-Term Care Spending for Older People and Adults with Physical Disabilities in Illinois and the U.S., 2006

There is a lot on these issues, but if you'd like any info/data as well as any active legislative issues for your state/city, you can contact your local ILC

I have a friend that lives in socal.And his mom is paid 1000 a month for care giving.It sounds like people are being misslead on this topic.
    "Independent from the rest of the sheep"

Quote Originally Posted by NEWPARA
    I have a friend that lives in socal.And his mom is paid 1000 a month for care giving.It sounds like people are being misslead on this topic.
    Who is writing/signing the checks? Any idea?

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

In WI you can have someone (a friend or family member) help you and they end up with $300 a month. I had this setup about 5 years ago and it worked well. Not sure about your state!
    Andrew

CBA in Texas will pay for anyone to care for you except a spouse.... I am dealing with that right now.