Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wind Turbine in High Wind Conditions

Wind Turbine in High Wind Conditions

http://www.spiegel.de/video/video-33749.html

It´s in German, but the visual says it all. Ooops!
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Nice video. I had been wondering recently how well wind turbines would stand up to hurricanes and what kind of insurance they'd need.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

I would've thought that they could adjust the pitch of the blades according to wind speed, to maintain a constant rotation.

Wow! When the camera pulls back you can see a van parked at the base of the turbine when it comes apart. Then you can appreciate the scale of the event. I wonder how far the blades flew? How fast were the tips of the blades moving right before it came apart? Looked like they were moving hundreds of miles an hour.

Nice... Variable pitch would be a good idea. They have speed brakes of sorts, but it looked like the bade buckled in and shmucked the support.

The announcer said in the video that this was the second wind turbine failure this year in Denmark. This turbine was 10 years old. It said the failure is related to negligent maintenance and the cause is under investigation. As you can see, Mr. Murphy had a field day. That van owner had a hell of a lot of luck. There were no casualties.
    Last edited by Mike C; 07-31-2008 at 04:51 PM.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

I know that isn't a recent video, I don't know how old it is (several months at the very least).

That one showed a maintenance mistake, the crew had disabled a brake on the blades, as well as disabling the ability for the nacelle to turn away from oncoming wind.

The design on modern windmills will not allow this to happen. The blades are variably pitched, the nacelles turn, and there is a braking system. It is supposed to be mechanically limited in such a way as to prevent this from happening.
    Don't anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

The initial capital investment for a wind turbine is minimal compared to a 20 year service life of power generation. Most wind turbines can last up to 30-50 years with proper operating and service schedules. With the price of electricity going through the roof I am wondering if I can put one in my back yard. Who cares about HUGGING A TREE, I WANT A FORREST OF MONEY MAKERS!

Last edited by Leif; 08-01-2008 at 10:41 AM.

I watched a clipm on the TeeVee that showed a new blade design, based on the Blue whale fin, that allows the turbine to still perform extremely well at very low winds.

I've always wondered if you could make the blades from solar panels, thereby doubling the usefulness.