Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla
    Hello Betheny,

actually my question wasn't clear. What I wonder is:

1) we have 40 co-soposor
    2) 52 senators voted in favor of CDRPA
    3) 52 - 40 = 12 These 12 senators are not co-sponsor, but voted in favor of CDRPA. That makes me think that it should be easy to convince them to become co-sponsor is we know who they are.

I hope it makes sense now... english is my secong lenguage
    It's not so simple. 52 senators voted for the package of 34 bills to be considered and debated on the floor of the Senate. The 52 votes were not for the CDRPA (S1183) by itself.

Cosponsers=a committment to support a bill. 40 Senators have gone on record in support of CDRPA. Some senators will not co-sponsor any bill, but, verbally commit to voting "yes" if it gets to the Senate for a full vote. So far, the only one publically against the CDRPA is Sen. Coburn.

Susan

ok, I worked all night and I am a little burnt. Help me here. Is Delaware Senator Joe Biden, or Tom Carper on the list or do I need to work on them? I didn't see their names. Thanks

Neither are. Working on them would be a great idea!

Thank you Susan for the clear explanation.

Paolo

Good News & Bad News-Reeve Paralysis Act
    Published 07/31/2008 | Advocacy , July 2008 | Unrated

Dear fellow advocates-

Here at U2FP, we have good news and bad news. The bad news first-Yet again, the CDRPA did not pass into law. The good news? It came closer than we knew was possible, once upon a time. More good news, there is still a chance for passage; the fight is not yet over.

When we first started pushing for legislation to fund research for a cure for paralysis, we were rookies. In our innocence, we thought legislation was a pretty basic process. Introduce the bill and get it out of the committees that look it over. Get a majority of the House of Representatives to support it, and then repeat in the Senate. The President would sign it as a formality, and voila, we'd be ready for our next mission.

Since then, we've seen the CDRPA killed in committee. We've seen it pass committees and the House, to be held in the dead of the very last night. This session we learned that one Senator, Tom Coburn of OK, can hold 90 bills! We've seen tricks we never knew existed.

Monday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) brought the CDRPA together with 33 other bills to the Senate floor for a vote as the Advancing America's Priorities Act, ironically known unofficially as the Coburn Omnibus Bill. Passage was a long shot, requiring 60% of the U.S. Senate to agree to postpone their August recess, as well as crucial debate on a desperately-needed energy policy.

In spite of a unforgettable display by Sen. Reid, the motion to bring the Coburn Omnibus up for a vote was defeated, 52-40. Sadly, the voting went almost straight down party lines. It was a tragic display of partisanship replacing thoughtful government.

And yet...Paralysis legislation was mentioned dozens of times. The sense that paralysis research is a priority was palpable. If the CDRPA had come to a vote on its own, it would have passed. This was stated publicly by several respected Senators.

more...

http://www.thescizone.com/news/artic...sis-Act/1.html

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisShirey
    ok, I worked all night and I am a little burnt. Help me here. Is Delaware Senator Joe Biden, or Tom Carper on the list or do I need to work on them? I didn't see their names. Thanks
    Senator Joe Biden, now up for VP? Not a co-sponsor.

Senator Palin with her quote about her being an advocate for special needs children when she gets into the whitehouse?

Sounds like these two both could use some letters written to them.
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

My son and I have recently been working with Senator Biden's aide. I sent the information requested, and will follow up next week. I feel pretty confident he'll sign on as a cosponsor.

If anyone would like to follow up with a phone call asking him to cosponsor this bill, that would be helpful. The call would be even more meaningful if you live in Delaware. Ask for Patrick Johnson, phone #202-224-5042.
    "Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr

Quote Originally Posted by waters3
    Senator Joe Biden, now up for VP? Not a co-sponsor.

Senator Palin with her quote about her being an advocate for special needs children when she gets into the whitehouse?

Sounds like these two both could use some letters written to them.
    Palin is Alaska's governor, not a Senator. In previous versions of the bill, Biden had been a co-sponsor, glad to see he is reconsidering.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

how about swing states?

I'm in California and will call Biden's office to indicate that one of my major issues in the election is the CDRPA.

Got to think that in addition to Delaware, swing state voters (according to the NY Times the swing states are Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia, New Hampshire) will get his aide's ear as well. Can we mobilize folks in those states to make some calls/emails?