Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act

Post Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act

The Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act, S.3297 (CDRPA) has passed the House and is now awaiting the Senate vote. The Christopher Reeve Foundation is asking for your help in passing this important package. We put an overview and links on our SCI blog, check it out!

S3297 has not been considered by the House ("S" means Senate bill)--I don't think a House version even exists yet. The motion to debate (called "cloture") S3297 on the Senate floor was defeated Monday afternoon by a vote of 52-40 (60 Yay's were needed). Therefore, the bill is still sitting there waiting for consideration.

The Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act (S1183) is part of S3297, but has passed all Senate commitees required and was in queue for consideration by the full Senate when Sen. Tom Coburn put a "hold" on it and 90+ other bills. Bills require unanimous consent by all 100 members to head to the Senate floor.

The House version of CDRPA passed unanimously last fall.

The bill is not yet dead even though the cloture motion failed. There are now 40 co-sponsors on the CDRPA bill--20 more could just make passage happen. Please contact your Senators during the August recess and ask them to co-sponsor the bill if they have not done so yet.

the vote

Here is the list of “nays”, in case anyone is interested.
    It is pretty much down part lines, I guess we shouldn’t be too surprised.
    http://www.opencongress.org/roll_call/show/4927

I am not sure what purpose committees serve, you’d think differences between the two parties would be ironed out there. Maybe if we offered the republicans Florida’s entire coastline for drilling they would give us the CDRPA? It would be like offering Park Place with two hotels for Baltic Avenue, but I am sure we could find somebody in Florida to sign off on the deal.
    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

Nicksdad pays attention, wish more did. The party line divide angers me, and so many seem to not care that we're in these chairs while those in DC pretend they're high school rivals at the big homecoming game.

Paralysis is not partisan.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny

Paralysis is not partisan.
    Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Susan M
    S3297 has not been considered by the House ("S" means Senate bill)--I don't think a House version even exists yet. The motion to debate (called "cloture") S3297 on the Senate floor was defeated Monday afternoon by a vote of 52-40 (60 Yay's were needed). Therefore, the bill is still sitting there waiting for consideration.

The Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act (S1183) is part of S3297, but has passed all Senate commitees required and was in queue for consideration by the full Senate when Sen. Tom Coburn put a "hold" on it and 90+ other bills. Bills require unanimous consent by all 100 members to head to the Senate floor.

The House version of CDRPA passed unanimously last fall.

The bill is not yet dead even though the cloture motion failed. There are now 40 co-sponsors on the CDRPA bill--20 more could just make passage happen. Please contact your Senators during the August recess and ask them to co-sponsor the bill if they have not done so yet.
    Hello Susan,

I have a question:

If we have 40 co-sponsor and 52 voted in favor of CDRPA, we have 12 senators that could easily become co-sponsor, do we know the name of these 12 Senators??

Thanks,

Paolo

Here is a list of all the co-sponsors of the CDRPA, S. 1183. I think that is what you're looking for?

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...0:SN01183:@@@P

PS-The list says 39, b/c they don't include the name of the original sponsor in that number.

Here is a copy of the newsletter on this subject I sent out an hour ago. I wish I could post a live version w/ clickable links but CC software won't allow it. If you want to be added to our mailing list, just go to u2fp.org. I'll post a list of the live links here in a second. Maybe this will help w/ that co-sponsor question.

Change of plans. Click below for the link to the live newsletter:
    http://archives.subscribermail.com/m...ce4695fe78.htm

Last edited by betheny; 07-31-2008 at 06:21 PM.

I'm especially disappointed in Spector and Lugar, but I'm glad to see my 2 senators co-sponsored s 3297, contacting them works!

I tried to get relatives in Nev and Idaho to contact their senators but received no response, people are so apathetic. My bro thought we should contact orgs that have retired members with nothing to do
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    Here is a list of all the co-sponsors of the CDRPA, S. 1183. I think that is what you're looking for?

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...0:SN01183:@@@P

PS-The list says 39, b/c they don't include the name of the original sponsor in that number.
    Hello Betheny,

actually my question wasn't clear. What I wonder is:

1) we have 40 co-soposor
    2) 52 senators voted in favor of CDRPA
    3) 52 - 40 = 12 These 12 senators are not co-sponsor, but voted in favor of CDRPA. That makes me think that it should be easy to convince them to become co-sponsor is we know who they are.

I hope it makes sense now... english is my secong lenguage