Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Post Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act

    The Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act, S.3297 (CDRPA) has passed the House and is now awaiting the Senate vote. The Christopher Reeve Foundation is asking for your help in passing this important package. We put an overview and links on our SCI blog, check it out!

  2. #2
    S3297 has not been considered by the House ("S" means Senate bill)--I don't think a House version even exists yet. The motion to debate (called "cloture") S3297 on the Senate floor was defeated Monday afternoon by a vote of 52-40 (60 Yay's were needed). Therefore, the bill is still sitting there waiting for consideration.

    The Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act (S1183) is part of S3297, but has passed all Senate commitees required and was in queue for consideration by the full Senate when Sen. Tom Coburn put a "hold" on it and 90+ other bills. Bills require unanimous consent by all 100 members to head to the Senate floor.

    The House version of CDRPA passed unanimously last fall.

    The bill is not yet dead even though the cloture motion failed. There are now 40 co-sponsors on the CDRPA bill--20 more could just make passage happen. Please contact your Senators during the August recess and ask them to co-sponsor the bill if they have not done so yet.

  3. #3

    the vote

    Here is the list of “nays”, in case anyone is interested.
    It is pretty much down part lines, I guess we shouldn’t be too surprised.
    http://www.opencongress.org/roll_call/show/4927

    I am not sure what purpose committees serve, you’d think differences between the two parties would be ironed out there. Maybe if we offered the republicans Florida’s entire coastline for drilling they would give us the CDRPA? It would be like offering Park Place with two hotels for Baltic Avenue, but I am sure we could find somebody in Florida to sign off on the deal.
    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

  4. #4
    Nicksdad pays attention, wish more did. The party line divide angers me, and so many seem to not care that we're in these chairs while those in DC pretend they're high school rivals at the big homecoming game.

    Paralysis is not partisan.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by betheny

    Paralysis is not partisan.
    Amen!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M
    S3297 has not been considered by the House ("S" means Senate bill)--I don't think a House version even exists yet. The motion to debate (called "cloture") S3297 on the Senate floor was defeated Monday afternoon by a vote of 52-40 (60 Yay's were needed). Therefore, the bill is still sitting there waiting for consideration.

    The Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act (S1183) is part of S3297, but has passed all Senate commitees required and was in queue for consideration by the full Senate when Sen. Tom Coburn put a "hold" on it and 90+ other bills. Bills require unanimous consent by all 100 members to head to the Senate floor.

    The House version of CDRPA passed unanimously last fall.

    The bill is not yet dead even though the cloture motion failed. There are now 40 co-sponsors on the CDRPA bill--20 more could just make passage happen. Please contact your Senators during the August recess and ask them to co-sponsor the bill if they have not done so yet.
    Hello Susan,

    I have a question:

    If we have 40 co-sponsor and 52 voted in favor of CDRPA, we have 12 senators that could easily become co-sponsor, do we know the name of these 12 Senators??

    Thanks,

    Paolo

  7. #7
    Here is a list of all the co-sponsors of the CDRPA, S. 1183. I think that is what you're looking for?

    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...0:SN01183:@@@P

    PS-The list says 39, b/c they don't include the name of the original sponsor in that number.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    Here is a list of all the co-sponsors of the CDRPA, S. 1183. I think that is what you're looking for?

    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...0:SN01183:@@@P

    PS-The list says 39, b/c they don't include the name of the original sponsor in that number.
    Hello Betheny,

    actually my question wasn't clear. What I wonder is:

    1) we have 40 co-soposor
    2) 52 senators voted in favor of CDRPA
    3) 52 - 40 = 12 These 12 senators are not co-sponsor, but voted in favor of CDRPA. That makes me think that it should be easy to convince them to become co-sponsor is we know who they are.

    I hope it makes sense now... english is my secong lenguage

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla
    Hello Betheny,

    actually my question wasn't clear. What I wonder is:

    1) we have 40 co-soposor
    2) 52 senators voted in favor of CDRPA
    3) 52 - 40 = 12 These 12 senators are not co-sponsor, but voted in favor of CDRPA. That makes me think that it should be easy to convince them to become co-sponsor is we know who they are.

    I hope it makes sense now... english is my secong lenguage
    It's not so simple. 52 senators voted for the package of 34 bills to be considered and debated on the floor of the Senate. The 52 votes were not for the CDRPA (S1183) by itself.

    Cosponsers=a committment to support a bill. 40 Senators have gone on record in support of CDRPA. Some senators will not co-sponsor any bill, but, verbally commit to voting "yes" if it gets to the Senate for a full vote. So far, the only one publically against the CDRPA is Sen. Coburn.

    Susan

  10. #10
    Good News & Bad News-Reeve Paralysis Act
    Published 07/31/2008 | Advocacy , July 2008 | Unrated




    Dear fellow advocates-

    Here at U2FP, we have good news and bad news. The bad news first-Yet again, the CDRPA did not pass into law. The good news? It came closer than we knew was possible, once upon a time. More good news, there is still a chance for passage; the fight is not yet over.

    When we first started pushing for legislation to fund research for a cure for paralysis, we were rookies. In our innocence, we thought legislation was a pretty basic process. Introduce the bill and get it out of the committees that look it over. Get a majority of the House of Representatives to support it, and then repeat in the Senate. The President would sign it as a formality, and voila, we'd be ready for our next mission.

    Since then, we've seen the CDRPA killed in committee. We've seen it pass committees and the House, to be held in the dead of the very last night. This session we learned that one Senator, Tom Coburn of OK, can hold 90 bills! We've seen tricks we never knew existed.

    Monday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) brought the CDRPA together with 33 other bills to the Senate floor for a vote as the Advancing America's Priorities Act, ironically known unofficially as the Coburn Omnibus Bill. Passage was a long shot, requiring 60% of the U.S. Senate to agree to postpone their August recess, as well as crucial debate on a desperately-needed energy policy.

    In spite of a unforgettable display by Sen. Reid, the motion to bring the Coburn Omnibus up for a vote was defeated, 52-40. Sadly, the voting went almost straight down party lines. It was a tragic display of partisanship replacing thoughtful government.

    And yet...Paralysis legislation was mentioned dozens of times. The sense that paralysis research is a priority was palpable. If the CDRPA had come to a vote on its own, it would have passed. This was stated publicly by several respected Senators.


    more...

    http://www.thescizone.com/news/artic...sis-Act/1.html

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-12-2007, 01:24 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2003, 08:31 AM
  3. Actor Reeve and 3 others win top medical awards
    By Max in forum Ability & Disability News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-18-2003, 07:19 PM
  4. Chris Reeve on Larry King 9/23
    By Jim in forum Life
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 09-26-2002, 01:45 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2002, 10:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •