Thread: My Letter to the Editor

My Letter to the Editor

As most Americans, I am usually so busy living my day-to-day life that I forget my life is shaped by those people we elect into office. This election, for me, is dramatically different.

At the age of 33, I broke my neck and am now a quadriplegic. And although most of my life was taken from me, I still need to have hope. Maybe not so I can walk, but maybe I can one day move my finger. Maybe not that I will once again give my kids piggy back rides, but maybe one day I can brush my daughter's hair. Maybe I won't be able to make my husband dinner, but maybe one day I can be trusted near boiling water.

But my hope of ever doing any of these things is shattered if the relevant research is not allowed in this country. Stem cell research. This will cause many knee-jerk reactions by people who have no idea what it's like to be in my situation. Some people spit the word "liberal" like it is a profanity when they hear the phrase stem cell research. But for me it is not a mental image of evil men in white lab jackets raiding the dumpsters of an abortion clinic for their nefarious purposes.

For me, it would be so I could be a "hockey mom" in "small town America". This research, and the resulting medical advances could one day a guarantee that I would be able to "change" the way I do business here in America and go back to being the "maverick" that I was prior to my accident. I have my bootstraps, for me the challenge is figuring out how to pull myself up. Finding ways to improve the lives of people with spinal cord injury by doing stem cell research would let me be a better mom to my kids, a better wife to my husband, more productive at my job, more involved in my community and restore my faith in all those "prayers" that I hear are being said on my behalf.

I challenge you to think about people in my situation when you fill out the bubbles in your ballot this fall. Because I no longer can; however, there is hope that someday I will be able to do so again if the right decisions are made in November. Please vote for Senator Obama.

Powerful.

I loved this line:

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Banana
    I have my bootstraps, for me the challenge is figuring out how to pull myself up.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

great letter anna

thanks
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Very Personal and Engaging!

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Banana
    As most Americans, I am usually so busy living my day-to-day life that I forget my life is shaped by those people we elect into office. This election, for me, is dramatically different.

At the age of 33, I broke my neck and am now a quadriplegic. And although most of my life was taken from me, I still need to have hope. Maybe not so I can walk, but maybe I can one day move my finger. Maybe not that I will once again give my kids piggy back rides, but maybe one day I can brush my daughter's hair. Maybe I won't be able to make my husband dinner, but maybe one day I can be trusted near boiling water.

But my hope of ever doing any of these things is shattered if the relevant research is not allowed in this country. Stem cell research. This will cause many knee-jerk reactions by people who have no idea what it's like to be in my situation. Some people spit the word "liberal" like it is a profanity when they hear the phrase stem cell research. But for me it is not a mental image of evil men in white lab jackets raiding the dumpsters of an abortion clinic for their nefarious purposes.

For me, it would be so I could be a "hockey mom" in "small town America". This research, and the resulting medical advances could one day a guarantee that I would be able to "change" the way I do business here in America and go back to being the "maverick" that I was prior to my accident. I have my bootstraps, for me the challenge is figuring out how to pull myself up. Finding ways to improve the lives of people with spinal cord injury by doing stem cell research would let me be a better mom to my kids, a better wife to my husband, more productive at my job, more involved in my community and restore my faith in all those "prayers" that I hear are being said on my behalf.

I challenge you to think about people in my situation when you fill out the bubbles in your ballot this fall. Because I no longer can; however, there is hope that someday I will be able to do so again if the right decisions are made in November. Please vote for Senator Obama.
    Super content, super writing skills!!!

Very well done! It has inspired me to do the same.

One HELL OF A first post . Superior writing skills. You ever thought of a career in writing--maybe freelance,or book editing for a printing house, mag's , as if you had lots a spare time with kids running around ya doing god knows what. I babysat my gr-dtr when she was 4. Wife and dtr walked in to find me sound asleep, with red nose, green eyelids, freckles and my damn toenails and fingernails painted sparkly purple.
    Mind you this was not the last time this happened.I have a propensity to fall asleep while watching Barney.

Great letter about research and treatments for SCI. Wish more did more writing and got engaged in all ways.

The letter should be made sticky in the F, L & A forum.

Excellent written letter. I'd encourage others too as this is the time to take advantage ... right before an election! In Canada too ... there are still provinces that haven't coughed up for the Rick Hansen Foundation (hello Maritimes, Territories, Saskatchewan and Quebec mon amies!)
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Thank you very much.