I have to trave regularly, but have serious concerns about the safety of air travel so I felt the urge to post to Bruce Scheiner's security blog. (Bruce Scheiner is a 5ekuri7y geek.)

Arfer a while in the airline seat stress position I slump and the flexion of spine aggravates a low injury which makes be hot, sweaty, congested nose and felling very unwell. In the MRI there is small gap at T12, but there might be none when I am slumped in an airline seat.

Any suggestions on how to keep the back straight in an aircraft seat?

I don't know what causes the AD like problem as I only know about the low injury. Standing does not work, but going to toilet emptying bladder and removing all clothing made me feel a lot better. Went back without shoes on (but other things on) and made a point of standing up a number of times. (Have been called a wannabe for doing this. Standing also causes AD like probs which is why I use a chair if it is likely I will be standing or walking for a long time.)

I can drive for a whole day in a properly designed seat.

My post in: -
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...ghouse_on.html
bzelbob is right. Airline seats are designed to place the occupant in a stress position. Why are these safety issues not looked at?

The first problem is that the back is convex which places the spine extensors under stress for long time. This results in slumping and flexion of the spine.

The second problem is the back rest is not perpendicular to the seat. This causes shear stress to the skin which prevents blood returning back to the body and is possibly responsible for many of the cases of DVT.

If you wanted to avoid stress for people of varying heights the back rest would be flat and padded. When close to upright the back rest would be perpendicular to the seat. Both the backrest and the seat would be reclined together sufficiently such that you fall back in to the seat rather than be held in the stress position.

I have a spinal injury which means noxious stimuli below the injury cause AD which can cause severe hypertension and death.