Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inspection hell (long)

Inspection hell (long)

Where do I begin?

Yesterday, Tuesday, July 29, 2008 I bought my van in for its inspection. I took it to my local garage because it was only for an inspection. They have inspected my van in the past as well as brake jobs and other types of mechanical work. What harm could they do?

When I dropped it off about 9 a.m. the young man who took my van said it should be ready by noon because I was the third car. This would work out great because the afternoon I was waiting the exterminator's to come and investigate what I thought were carpenter bees that turned out to be green June bugs (but that's another story). Noon came and went so around two o'clock I gave a call and they said that it had not been in yet.

I had not yet heard from them by four o'clock so I gave another call. I was going to be next.

"You think about an hour?” I asked.
    "Yeah." Said mechanic.

So I rolled my way up to the garage which is a few blocks from my house. My van was up on the lift. I stayed outside enjoying the sun and tried making a few phone calls to waste some time. I was leaving a message for my friend Carol when the mechanic came outside. I thought he was going to tell me that I needed some kind of work done to pass the inspection but he said: "I was driving the van and it fell off the lift because I had to swerve out of the way in order not to hit the Mexican. (I let this comment slide but I assume he saw me rolling my eyeballs) So your windows are broken and your gas tank is split and I broke the lift in the next bay. I think I hit the hand control." Now I am paraphrasing because he stated it so nonchalantly I thought he was joking.

I joked back, "Well maybe you can put some fancy rims on it too".
    He said, "I’m not kidding. Come look".

He was right he was not kidding. The driver's side was smashed. The large window on the side window was broken, the gas cap was hanging out and they were draining the gasoline from underneath. I was speechless.

After thanking the heavens that no one was actually injured I asked what was going to happen next.
    The mechanic, with absolutely no affect, said that they would get a new gas tank and then he pondered (I'm giving him credit; I do not think he knows what pondering is) where he was going to find a window to fit that panel.

The boss's wife sporting a 1960s hairdo envious of any Hairspray cast member came out very apologetic. "You should've heard the bang!" Stating that it would not cost me a thing and that they would fix it. "That's what we pay insurance for."

I went home.

This morning I called the van conversion place to see if this had ever happened to anyone else before and exactly what I should do. They reminded me that the gasoline tank and everything else underneath the car has been retrofitted with electronics etc. they stated that the van should be immediately towed to them and the inspection by their insurance adjuster should be done at their facility so that they can explain to the garage insurance adjuster exactly what has been damaged.

So here I sit realizing that having a van is a very big aspect of my life. Going food shopping may not be on list of priorities for many but I realized that I do rely on getting here and there in my vehicle.

There was some "words" reported to me by the conversion place as well as the garage as the garage lady wanted to pay out of pocket because she didn't want to pay her $1000 deductible for her insurance. I may add that they own a lot of real estate here in my little town.

When I spoke with the garage lady she stated that she would have my van towed to the conversion place, of course rambling on about how special I was yada yada.

I'm still kind of speechless. I feel stranded. I watched a whole tank full of gasoline being drained out of my tank.

I wanted to take some pictures today but they would let me in as it was against their insurance policy. I am hoping that once it gets to the conversion place that they will be able to take some pictures that I can show you.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321
    I wanted to take some pictures today but they would let me in as it was against their insurance policy.
    This is BS. Tell them to bring the van outside.

You need something in writing, and likely a police report. The shop is 100% liable.

Walked by, van is still up on lift....
    It's not drivable for them to take it outside
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

Call the non-emergency police number and have a casual conversation with them. Ask if an accident report needs to be filed. Let the garage deal with it when an officer shows up. I'd be pissed. That shop needs to be doing whatever they can to make you happy...

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about this Liz. You should be looking into a rental van (charged to the shops garage liability policy) because you can almost count on being without a van for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    Call the non-emergency police number and have a casual conversation with them. Ask if an accident report needs to be filed. Let the garage deal with it when an officer shows up. I'd be pissed. That shop needs to be doing whatever they can to make you happy...
    Agreed, Liz. The shop should be knocking itself out trying to satisfy and please you rather than displaying the casual demeanor you commented on earlier.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 07-30-2008 at 03:25 PM.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

......... sorry remembered the conversion as I was posting, my comments re. the respray still stand but are probably the least of your worries.

Hope you get this sorted soon.
    Last edited by Timaru; 07-30-2008 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks.
    I've been posting @ this at www.Powerquad.net as well

It's at the conversion place and the receptionist stated she could smell gas 100 feet away.

I'll update when I can.

The police can't help. This happened in a private lot, not on a road ... unless the laws are different in your state? Nothing criminal happened. You need a lawyer.

I'm so sorry this happened ... I know how frustrating it is to be without a vehicle when it's broken down. All the 'fangled gadgets' on those vans keep me from getting one. It's just not fair at all to those who need them. I've seen my friend be without her van many times and there's no way it would be reliable enough so she could work. At the very least, they should provide some transportation to you somehow ... I would insist.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    The police can't help. This happened in a private lot, not on a road ... unless the laws are different in your state? Nothing criminal happened. You need a lawyer.
    er... yeah, didn't think about that. hmm.