Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Dont eat maine lobster tomalley

  1. #1
    Banned adi chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    near dracula castle
    Posts
    9,508

    Dont eat maine lobster tomalley

    Dont eat maine lobster tomalley.
    July 28, 2008 -- The FDA today warned consumers to avoid eating tomalley in American lobster (also called Maine lobster) because of a potential contamination of dangerous levels of toxins that can cause paralytic shellfish poisoning, which can be fatal.
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/fo...bster-tomalley
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    last house on the left
    Posts
    9,791
    Wow, this is too bad. I live not far from Maine and the lobster there is the best in the world, but I have never been a fan of the tamalley.

  3. #3
    Banned adi chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    near dracula castle
    Posts
    9,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen
    Wow, this is too bad. I live not far from Maine and the lobster there is the best in the world, but I have never been a fan of the tamalley.
    Yes i agree that the Maine lobster is very tasty.I wonder what caused this ?Maybe the pollution of the water?
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    last house on the left
    Posts
    9,791
    Red tide is what usually causes the problem with paralytic shellfish toxin. When the water gets too warm (maybe global warming?) the algae move in and literally turn the water red. They secrete toxins that then end up in shellfish. It can paralyze respiratory muscles, so it is a really big thing to be careful about.

  5. #5
    Banned adi chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    near dracula castle
    Posts
    9,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen
    Red tide is what usually causes the problem with paralytic shellfish toxin. When the water gets too warm (maybe global warming?) the algae move in and literally turn the water red. They secrete toxins that then end up in shellfish. It can paralyze respiratory muscles, so it is a really big thing to be careful about.
    Thank you for the info Eileen.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

  6. #6
    We've had red tide issues intermittently over the past few years. Personally, I have never had a taste for lobster and not eating their digested, but un-expelled, waste, is probably a very good rule for those who do. Yuck!
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

    "It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

  7. #7
    Senior Member fishin'guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle area Wash state
    Posts
    2,382
    We never had red tide till the wall came down, and all of you eastern block people came here.




    just jerking your chain Adi,

Similar Threads

  1. Strategies for staying slim.
    By Juke_spin in forum Food
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 10:56 AM
  2. All Time Favorite Song
    By Broknwing in forum Life
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 11-06-2005, 01:03 AM
  3. Bubba., the Lobster died.....
    By Max in forum Life
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-06-2005, 08:02 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-2004, 10:04 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-11-2002, 01:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •