Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Omnibus (CDRPA) cloture vote-4 pm eastern, Monday

Leo-

I got up this a.m. and wrote a newsletter. I'm like you, I actually feel encouraged. Remember the years the CRPA never got out of committee, and nobody cared? Then last session, it would have passed but for Coburn's dirty last-minute trick. (God that guy stinks.)

This year, they had to play every card they had to hold us back. How about all that mention of paralysis, specifically? And Reid warning them they'd pay, come November, and that HE didn't want to face one of us if they spit on us yet again.

We got 2 new co-sponsors just Friday! If it had required 51 votes, the way democracy is intended to work, we'd have been in like Flynn. We already have 40 co-sponsors and it's only July!

We're no longer invisible. We've served notice. They're on the run, and they know it. Next year will be a whole new ball game. We've outwaited them, and outworked them, and if they weren't unscrupulous we'd have outvoted them, too. All this in SPITE of being linked to a Polish museum in Poland.

My friend, we've made huge progress. I thought about you all day yesterday. I knew you'd see what I was seeing. Optimism is not my usual condition, but that was a victory, not a defeat.

Love ya, buddy-

Beth

Regardless of the museums and any bill that had money attached too it. Passage of this group of legislation does not entail money for those. All of that has to be approved by appropriations at a later date.

The part that kills me is the stonewalling about energy and Coburn not even giving representatives an opportunity to discuss it. If he want's to vote NO then so be it. But for him to say NO to even allowing others to vote that is just wrong and not Freedom of Speech and equal representation.
    Paralyze resistance with persistence.
    T-12

Wow-guess I shouldn't have set up my computer. I don't know what to say except I really understand why Congress has such a dismal rating. Will it truly change next election? I hope so.

It doesn't help when CNN misinforms everybody & only puts out the negative part of the bill.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Quote Originally Posted by Norm
    It doesn't help when CNN misinforms everybody & only puts out the negative part of the bill.
    I didn't see any news (news spin) on the bill. There are so many loud, flashy commercials and those annoying moving banners and a host of other sensory overload bullshit on commercial news TV nowadays, that I generally stay away from it.

Does anyone know, if the whole bill were to pass through all the appropriations hurdles etc., what the final cost of it would be? That's one fact that I didn't hear discussed in the debate.

It's funny how perspective or spin is put on everything. Durbin, in support of the bill, was on the Senate floor claiming that the Iraq war was unnecessarily costing the taxpayers (not to mention the cost to the troops) between 10 and 15 billion dollars a month. A short while later, when Coburn controlled the time, corrected Durbin claiming that the war was "only" costing the taxpayers 8 billion dollars. I imagine the truth lies somewhere in between. I always heard that the cost was around 12 billion.

Anyone see the story about the prison that was being built in Iraq? A contractor got the bid for it and I think tried his best, but due to security reasons was never able to finish it. It took so long to build that it's no longer needed. It stands half finished and the contractor is back in the States with a 40 million dollar check for the work he was able to perform. I wonder how much of that 40 million was actually completed??? No mention is ever made on news TV about these costly boondoggles that grace the many skylines of Iraq. Money isn't an issue when it's spent over there.

And what's with the electricity shortage in Iraq/Baghdad? China builds 5 new coal-powered power plants a week! Why can't Iraq put up a secure constantine-wired fence around a piece of real estate, add a few guard towers equipped with 50 cal machine guns along with other security measures, drill straight down to the oil table for a fuel source and bingo, electricity. What's the big deal? Six years after the initial invasion and Iraq/Baghdad has the same amount of electricity (around 40-50% of what it needs) that it had pre-war. I realize that it can be hard to build over there, but a power plant can be built within a secure area with a secure fuel source and if they wanted to, put the damn transmission wires 20 feet under ground so they can't be blown up. Or fly a Predator UAV along the power lines to protect them. Or create a special security force just to protect the Iraqi power grid. And besides, I think everyone in Iraq is tired of not having electricity... even the terrorists and insurgents! What I'm trying to say is that it's "doable" but it isn't being done. Oops, a bit off-topic. Oh well.

Maybe we need to send the CDRPA to the Iraqi Parliament and have it passed over there. Besides, they have a huge surplus in their budget.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark

Does anyone know, if the whole bill were to pass through all the appropriations hurdles etc., what the final cost of it would be? That's one fact that I didn't hear discussed in the debate.
    $8 billion, according to the Congressional Budget Office. I think it's a mistake to even discuss this, though -- because the omnibus bill had no funding. Coburn was able to make the argument about money when there was no money involved.

Yikes! How do we fight ignorance? Does anyone know how McCain voted (if he did)?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19
    Yikes! How do we fight ignorance? Does anyone know how McCain voted (if he did)?
    He and Obama weren't present.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=2&vote=00189
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Yet again CNN & Lou Dobbs were acting like Colburn is a hero for stopping this act. Dobbs needs to be hammered about this. I'm urging everybody to let Lou know what Colburn is doing to the CDRPA. Call his Radio show email him. I already sent an email the other day. I'm going to try again myself. CNN will be re-running Dobbs again at 4am TONIGHT.

http://loudobbs.tv.cnn.com/

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html?9
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

I replied to Lou. Thanks for the links.
    Paralyze resistance with persistence.
    T-12