Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Modifications - Adaptive Equipment

Home Modifications - Adaptive Equipment

Hello everyone:
    My husband is a C3 vent dependent. We are looking to modify our home for his homecoming. Anyone out there with ideas of what we will need, bathroom ideal size, indoor elevator, contractors in the MA area and ideas on adaptive equipment (door openers, computers, turning on tv's, radios, etc) any ideas, information and/or resources would be greatly appreciated.
    Blessings!

re homecoming

Hi, mccc2,

Homecoming can be a daunting experience, and I think you need some help; I would hook up with a SCI occupational therapist, who could probably answer all your questions about home modification, equipment needed, and adaptive equipment. I reread some of your old posts, and it looks as though you have a lot of resources in the Boston area to use! There's a LOT to be done, especially if your home needs a lot of modifications, and it's best to get started ASAP. Are you going to have nursing/aide care at home, also? Have you been trained by the rehab center in vent care?

In reading your first few posts, you stated your husband is in a nonSCI rehab center - How did that happen - could you transfer to a SCI rehab for the rest of his stay? If so, they would do all the training you and your husband need, and also be able to help with ordering equipment, and talking about modifications.

Best of luck - my heart is with you. Jackie

Roll in Shower

If your planning on having a roll in shower, I would make it 4'x5' or 5'x5' would be better. My shower is 4'x4' and it's hard to get my shower chair in it.

PVA Magazine

PVA put out an EXCELLENT issue in Sept of 99 on making your home accessible. There isa project at the University of NC on Accessible housing, and they offer consultation as well as floor plans. I would suggest getting in touch with Glen Thompson at the Boston chapter. He remodeled his home in Reading, MA to make it accessible. Because of the vent equipement you are going to want to extend out the recommended measurements for room accessibility. HealthSouth in Woburn has an SCI OT that does home assessements. Also, if your husband was a vetern, contact EPVA. You can find them on the web at www.epva.org. Also look up www.pva.org as they have some excellent publications regarding remodeling and they may be able to help you get the 1999 issue. Best of luck.

Home Modifications

Originally posted by mccc2:

Hello everyone:
    My husband is a C3 vent dependent. We are looking to modify our home for his homecoming. Anyone out there with ideas of what we will need, bathroom ideal size, indoor elevator, contractors in the MA area and ideas on adaptive equipment (door openers, computers, turning on tv's, radios, etc) any ideas, information and/or resources would be greatly appreciated.
    Blessings!

Home Modification

Sorry for the previous reply that repeated the orginal post.

I have created a web page that includes a page on home modifications we made for my son. His injury is at C5 level. Go to the following page http://home.att.net/~ron.mcgrath/ link to Spinal Cord Injuries and then to Home Mods.

Since you are in the area, you are welcome to visit and see what we have done. Also feel free to email.

Some financial resources

Please check with your state government's agency on independent living. A lot of these agencies offer a once-in-a-lifetime (at least in your present home) financial assistance for modifications. Recommendations for the modifications should be made by an OT with experience in your husband's SCI area (Cervical with ventilator assistance).

Another possible resource is available if your husband was a vet. If he was be sure to dig out his discharge papers and file for VA assistance ASAP. The VA has been dealing with SCI survival since WWII and can be a wonderful resource for medical and psychological help for both of you.

"And so it begins."

Hey Quadrant

I needed an 8ft. lift to get in my basement.

after pricing and looking at and my experiance in college with the complicated wrecks they call wheelchair lifts. I decided to build my own or do with out.

I went to purchase a mast from the front of a salvaged forklift at a large forklift dealer they were selling for $400 but when the guy ask what i was doing with it he gave it to me free.

I then bought a $350 self contained hydraulic pump that runs on 220volt ac current. its a replacement pump for garage automotive lifts. basicaly just plug it in & hookup hyd lines.

then i got about $250 worth of steel angle iron, expanded metal and tread plate floor. then hired my uncle to weld together a cage.

was about $500 in labor to build & install

it works perfect with a rated load of 12,000 lbs dont think i will over load it. one simple thing i still need to add is a hydraulic hand pump about $100 incase electricity goes out.

i guaratee it is faster safer & 100 times more reliable than any chair lift on the market.

i have had 0 maintenance in the 2 years of use.

Want to be involved in reasearch. like a guinee pig

CLC379

Your solutions sounds like the way to go for a solid and reliable lift. Fortunately my son is now living downstairs in a new apartment so the lift only has to work the 3 or 4 times a year he comes up to visit.

Hi, Quadrant,

Why don't you post your page on the Links forum? Looks like it's got good info in it. Thanks!