Thread: Hellloooooo?

Hellloooooo?

where is everybody? are we all as turkied out as I am?!

Hi

Still here - just got back from a week in AZ. Loaded up hubby, and his service dog as well as the service dog I am training and headed out.

Learned that Country Inn Suites are great. Roll in shower, fridge and microwave. Also included a breakfast and bedtime snack (usually soup and your choice of sandwich (pb or j) or toast.

Was nice to get away for awhile.

Companion dogs

Hi, Tag,

I've always wanted to ask you about companion dogs; I know a little about them, and we got some info at the Abilities Expo last year. We're real dog lovers - have two of 'em, a Sheltie, and a Rottie/?Catahoula leopard dog mix. What's your take on introducing a companion dog into a home taht already has pets?

Our Rottie mix, Gus, while a loveable SOB, is very territorial, and sooo wants to be the alpha wolf of the pack. We have to constantly remind him he's way down on the list! He's also very protective of Matt. Would a dog like that accept a companion dog? Do you think they sense a CD is there for a different purpose?

I saw a show on Animal Planet that was about companion monkeys!!! How funny, and how great - but I don't think we quite could incorporate a critter into the house! The monkey was great, tho, working with a quad, using the microwave, changing CD's, washing his guy's face!

Jackie

Companion Dogs

Instructor hat on - companion dogs are the family pet, social dogs have special training for emotional support, hearing dogs alert to specific sounds, guide dogs guide the blind and service dogs perform specific tasks for people with mobility disabilities; all but companion dogs fall under the umbrella laws of Assistance Dogs and the ADA.

Hubby's dog retreives anything he drops - from a dime to a computer book, will bring him the cordless phone and find help if requested. The dog I am working with now will go to a gentleman with parkinsons like symptoms and will primarily be for balance and picking up what he drops. Hubby is completing the application for a successor dog since his is almost 12. Since I work for the program that one I will not be involved in training.

We have placed dogs with people who have family dogs, but it is very dependant on how the family dog accepts the service dog, the success and failure of this is about 50/50.

From the caregiver side I am all for them, it takes some of the load off my shoulders and gives hubby more freedom. Up until the last few years the dog went to work with him and would carry papers back and forth between co-workers and picked up the dropped stuff at work too.

If you are interested in pursueing I can get a list of programs in or near your state and email them to you privately.

ROLL-IN SHOWER.

HI TAG,,,WHAT PART OF AZ DID YOU GO TO,,,,,,
    ABOUT ''COUNRTY INN SUITES'', WAS THE ROLL-IN SHOWER BIG ENOUGH TO FIT A REGULAR SIZE SHOWER/COMMODE CHAIR,,,,,, DID YOU BRING A REGULAR SIZE SHOWER CHAIR WITH YOU, OR DO YOU HAVE SOME KIND OF A SMALLER TRAVEL TYPE,,,,,,,,,
    THANX.

Country Inn & Suites

FreeJ

We were in Mesa, but there were several others around AZ as well as nationwide.

We traveled with a E&J shower commode chair, the roll in was large enough to accomodate it. This property has w/c accessible rooms with a tub as well as a rollin shower, we were very specific about what we wanted. When I was making reservations the hotel website wasn't working so will have to look it up again and try an post it.

HI TAG,,,THANX FOR RESPONDING. THAT'S GREAT THAT THE 'COUNTRY INN' ROLL-INS CAN FIT REG SHOWER CHAIRS. I MYSELF HAVE AN 'E/J' SHOW/COMMODE CHAIR.
    HAVE YOU BEEN TO ANY OTHER HOTELS WITH 'GOOD SIZED' ROLL-IN SHOWERS,,,,,,,
    YES, PLEASE FIND 'COUNTRY INNS' WEBSITE IF POSSIBLE.

Try Hampton Inn. The wheelchair accessible rooms have roll in showers and are very close to the main desk.

FreeJ

http://www.countryinns.com/ is the URL for Country Inns & Suites. By the way, we also tried the Microtel chain while in New Mexico, I haven't decided yet if I want to try them again. They did not have power door openers on the main doors,(I had a hard time getting them open and I'm TAB)hubby and service dog never would have been able to open them. Also manager did not want service dogs coming through the lobby, we did anyway. Also for a hotel built in the last 3 years only had 1 wheelchair accessible room with a roll in shower, had other rooms with a tub but really. Also for three years old it was pretty shoddy.

THANX TAG AND KDK. TAG, YOU SEEM LIKE YOU TRAVEL OFTEN,PLEASE CONTINUE POSTING ON THE ACCESSABIITY OF THE PLACES YOU STAY AT, ''ESPECIALLY THE SHOWERS. THANX AGAIN.