Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you need?

What do you need?

Hi everyone,

Welcome to our newbies - I hope you find the CareCure community as valuable as I have, both in information and emotional support.

For everyone - There's a post on the Life Forum by Steven Edwards that asks, 'what do you need to get your life going? What's holding you back?

I'd like to ask the question of all of us caregivers out there, also - what specifically do we need to happen, to regain some sense of normalcy (whatever that is!) in our lives? Is it lack of aides, physical exhaustion, living space, schedules?

Can we give ourselves a time frame - say, in one year, we'll be doing this to reclaim our lives; does anyone feel 'guilty' about wanting/having a life of their own, when their spouse/child/sib has a spinal cord injury?

It's getting toward the end of the year; that means a new year is beginning, a new chance to look at ourselves, our situation, and maybe a rebirth of our sense of who we are, separate from our family members and their needs.

God bless us, every one!

Good stuff. I'll think more on that. I think we have alot in common Marmalady, by the way what is your first name?Our boys are almost the same age, were injured around the same time and have the same level of injury. Very interesting.

Bumping this up - it's an oooolllld post, but timely I think for some of our newer members!

Bumping up again for the new year!

I need a reason to stay hopeful.
    I need to have my mind engaged productively.
    I need to know I'm not alone.
    I need time in my garden.
    I need silliness.
    I need good books to read.
    I need a double tall nonfat latte, extra foamy!

Moving forward in life while in a wheelchair:

In real estate there is a saying "location, location, location" and this is what is most important about buying a home or the location of a business. For people with spinal cord injuries, I think, from my experience, the saying is "stability, stability, stability."

I need dependable caregivers and a long-term "fix" for this new problem so I can have "stability."

PN

I need a
    vacation
    vacation
    vacation

We are all faced with a series of great opportunities... Brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

When David moved in with us, I needed more space. Well I'm getting it. We will start building the addition in about 1 month. David will have his own room 25x25 and a carport too. The next thing on my need list. (which is very long). A Dishwasher with David and all his friends coming over I do alot of dishes. I'm happy to have my son with me.

Pam Baureis

Ahem- Pam - Get some of those big, hungry, strong bodied friends of David's to roll up their sleeves and help with the dishes!!!!

What do I need? My list would be very close to Kate's - thanks for putting it into words, Kate, ya made me cry!

Jackie, dear! You're one of the people who makes me know I'm not alone. Did you read HandiBob's post in Cure? Lifting his hips off the mattress???! Now that's what I call a reason to stay hopeful.