Thread: President Bush Recognizes Our Nation's Family Caregivers by Proclaiming November National Family Caregivers Month

President Bush Recognizes Our Nation's Family Caregivers by Proclaiming November National Family Caregivers Month

President Bush Recognizes Our Nation's Family Caregivers by Proclaiming November National Family Caregivers Month

WASHINGTON, Nov 14, 2001 (ASCRIBE NEWS via COMTEX) -- President Bush proclaims November as National Family Caregivers Month and said he encourages all Americans to "recognize the importance of the family, of our older citizens, and the millions of caregivers who work to keep their loved ones at home."

According to the President's November 9 proclamation, "Family caregivers deserve our support and respect. They tirelessly assume demanding responsibilities for the benefit of those they love. During this challenging time for our Nation, their selfless heroism demonstrates the quiet determination and courage of the American spirit."

Over 50 million people, or more than one in four Americans were family caregivers at some point last year, according to the National Family Caregivers Association (NFCA). This nationwide celebration, during the Thanksgiving holiday, is a reminder to reach out and assist those who provide care to a chronically ill, disabled or elderly loved one.

"We are grateful for President Bush's efforts in creating awareness of the importance of family caregivers," says Suzanne Mintz, president of NFCA. "We must also help family caregivers, themselves, self-identify and become empowered advocates in their caregiving roles. Our research indicates that when they self-identify, family caregivers can serve as a significant force for societal change in the effort to make our healthcare system and government policies more supportive of families dealing with chronic, long term illnesses or disabilities."

This is the seventh year the National Family Caregivers Association ( www.nfcacares.org) has sponsored National Family Caregivers Month. It was created to focus attention on the need for family caregivers to reach out for help and for friends, family, government, organizations, employers, and communities to provide the needed assistance. NFCA is a grassroots organization created to empower, educate, support and speak up for the millions of Americans who care for a chronically ill, disabled or elderly loved one.

Thanks - now give us some help!

With no disrespect meant to Mr. Bush, and a sincere thank you for his recognition of family caregivers, I think it's time that the insurance companies recognize us as something more than unpaid labor! Grrrr

Put the $$ where your mouth is

Praise is nice, but how about some respite care as well as better payment for keeping an individual at home vs a care facility?

Well ..........

.......... I got to say this, but their they go again. Wasn't daddy Bush that gave us decade or year of the brain? Did it make me feel any better?
    I feel like screaming in their face cool it with all your $*#%!!@n talk. It's a total lost cause.
    That reminds me, Just Cause, now where did I hear that.