Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Quads That live in PA?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any Quads That live in PA?

I'm thinking of moving to PA. I was wandering if any quad gets 24 hour care there? If not how many hours do you get?

I am a quadriplegic living in Pennsylvania. I don't think it's possible to generalize about coverage because everyone has their own unique situation in terms of family, injury and insurance. I am a workers comp case and have negotiated my own care independent of anybody else's situation. I just had to get in there and fight for what I thought I needed.

It sounds like you're asking about Pennsylvania Medicaid coverage? Perhaps there's somebody with that experience who can respond.

It's a fabulous state. Move there anyway.

Are you vent dependent? Why else would you need 24 hour care? I don't know any state's programs that provide 24/7 attendant care, even for those on a vent. If you are getting it now, how?

Are you medicaid eligible now? Are you also on Medicare or do you have private insurance?

(KLD)

jim lived in pitt until he moved to florida 5 yrs ago. he used to receive 40 hrs a week from united cerebral palsy (ucp) . depending upon your income they may charge u a small amount. i think jim paid approx. 350 a month. good luck and if u have any question i will pass this along to jim and he could totally fill u in with all the details. good luck

stormie
    and in the end it's not the years in your life that count it's the life in your years. abraham lincoln

Well I'm c4/c5, But I have no trunk balance. I can't transfer myself or turn myself at night. I could move my arms, but they are not strong enough to turn me or transfer me. I live in NYC. I do have medicaid and medicare part A only I think. I live alone so they give me 24 hour care. I think cause I can't turn on my own and transfer myself, plus take the meds i need to at night, and other things. There are old people that get 24 hour too or they get a live in.

Thanks for the info!

Wow, I should tell my clients in CA to move to NYC! No way would you get that many hours in CA from IHSS. They don't pay for live in in CA, and we are lucky to get 180 hours a month for someone on a vent. Most of my clients who have C4 injuries and depend on IHSS get at most 8 hours daily, either don't turn at night or have a turning mattress, and are alone at night unless there is family sleeping in the house. They have someone to do AM care, and bedtime care, and are also alone most of the rest of the day.

The only people I know who have 24/7 are either private pay (rich or settlement) or worker's comp, or private insurance on a vent.

(KLD)

i live in pittsburgh. i'm a c5/6. the state pays forc a care taker 6 hours a day. you can pick who you want to do they caretaking or they provide you with someone.
    I CAN MAKE YOU BLUEPRINTS OF ANYTHING YOU WANT.

PM ME

www.4th-gen-civic.com- EF Civic + CRX Resource + Forum

I thought CA gave 24 hour care. I talked to this 1 guy from CA who had MDA, He said he got 16 or 18 hours a day. I heard some states give 24 hour care.

Quote Originally Posted by cer221
    I thought CA gave 24 hour care. I talked to this 1 guy from CA who had MDA, He said he got 16 or 18 hours a day. I heard some states give 24 hour care.
    they might in pa but they dont for me.
    I CAN MAKE YOU BLUEPRINTS OF ANYTHING YOU WANT.

PM ME

www.4th-gen-civic.com- EF Civic + CRX Resource + Forum