Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: clearing sinuses, blowing nose with weak lungs

clearing sinuses, blowing nose with weak lungs

I feel rather stupid posting this to the care section because others have far more serious worries, but it's become a real quality of life issue for me, posted this on new mobility some time ago, got a few suggestions, but thought I'd try for more... any creative suggestions on blowing one's nose/clearing sinuses... my lungs are weak enough that I can't blow hard enough to make anything come out... I wind up spiraling a tissue to a point and shoving it up there, try to drag stuff out, I've also tried suction through my nose with various devices to no avail, also tried having someone push on my stomach when I blow
    also, my sinuses swell... I believe partially due to baclofen, ditropan & oxycontin... so there's not that much up there anyway... the standard issued Dr. nasal sprays don't do much... Afrin works great, but my understanding is you don't want to be using that stuff very much so I don't, I'm also getting drainage down my throat which inhibits talking because it chokes me sometimes
    this is really becoming inhibiting... with the weakened lungs & low blood pressure I need all the oxygen I can get... eating & talking, & dictating into the computer get exhausting because I'm unable to do those & breathe through my mouth at the same time
    so for those of you with decreased lung capacity, how do you keep your nose clear & open?
    thanks

Using a plain saline nasal spray helps me a lot. It loosens everything up, and even if I can't blow anything out, the moisture helps me breathe better through my nose. I use it every evening, usually an hour or two before bedtime. Any drugstore and many supermarkets have it near the other nasal sprays.

Saline spray should help qite a bit.

CKF

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Saline spray should help qite a bit.

CKF
    thanks, I forgot to mention that I've tried saline, it goes up and some comes back out, the rest stays up there and actually plugs me up worse

What level are you? And how independant do you want to be with it?

I use a Kleenex in my left hand & pull myself forwards with right hand at the same time I blow my nose .
    I have a fixed table to the wall & floor so it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    What level are you? And how independant do you want to be with it?
    I'm c-5 with no wrist function, as far as independent with it goes, if it clears my nose, I don't care if it takes a NASCAR pit crew to open my sinuses
    best

Do you have a breathing bag, commonly used to assisted cough?

Use that to help inflate your lungs and then blow out your noses.. I'm C5 but with wrist extensors, and this works, but i'm too weak to use the bag alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Do you have a breathing bag, commonly used to assisted cough?

Use that to help inflate your lungs and then blow out your noses.. I'm C5 but with wrist extensors, and this works, but i'm too weak to use the bag alone.
    I've never heard of a breathing bag, where can you purchase one?

Basically it is a Laerdal resus bag a one way valve, and some corregated tubing.

It's reallly for breath stacking exersices, but i just cough with mine.

Just checked the price ~ $200 bucks but is a one time purchase. Where as the cheaper ones are more disposible.