Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Getting back on SSDI

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    so, in other words, ssdi can go down. now there's a real incentive for me to find another job after 27 yrs of engineering.
    It can go down if you need to reapply for it in the future or when they are recalulating your retirement benefits in the future if you have other periods of employment that are not "frozen" or excluded. Remember that they have excluded anytime you have been collecting benefits or been out of work, so depending on how long you work and what you make, it could have very little impact on your overall earnings during the period.

So, you are looking for work that is not in engineering and will not be making what you did then? If so, and if you are looking only to make enough money to supplement your SSDI check, there are lots of things we can look at to reduce the amount of money that SSA will count...meaning you can make more than SGA and still keep your check.

I noticed also that you mentioned a dependent child. It is important that you know that when you have auxillary benefits (benefits paid out to the child of a parent with a disability), that whatever happens to your check will also happen to theirs.

BTW: I noticed you and I share a common interest>> I am the proud caregiver of 51 beautiful horses, 2 pigs, six goats, and a motley crue of dogs and cats at the www.liveandletlivefarm.org which is an all volunteer horse rescue here in NH.

yes, i am aware of work related expenses. did that for a few yrs (several yrs ago).

not sure what i'm looking to do right now. am actually on medical LOA until 2010 or i RTW. due to neuropathic pain, i don't see a RTW at my engineering job in my future. also, i can take disability retirement (unless SPEEA's current negotiations change that...SPEEA=engineering union) from my job so it really makes no sense to go back.

my ssdi will convert to retirement at same amount when/if i make it that long, so....right now i am just resting from working 21 yrs as a quad in pain.

this was really broknwing's (chelle) question so i'll pm her.

So it won't go up if you are working and drawing a check. My check is very low bc I was stay at home mom for many years. I barely had enough time in to get a check and am in the lowest bend or whatever it is called. I have been working but only part time for a while now. I was hoping since I was working and paying in it would help my check but it looks like you are saying it doesn't matter because my earnings are frozen right now.

i'm pretty sure my ssdi went up in the 9 yrs i worked while still drawing a check (i still was getting an ssdi check due to work related expenses). but rules may have changed, addiesue. keep heart. don't let "the system" get you down.

Mine goes up but it is a cost of living raise not because I am paying in. Thanks for the thoughts.

I ask a billion questions, some of them over and over, because I keep hoping for the someone with good news who actually had the right info!

addiesue, do you get the SSA yearly statement that shows your lifetime yearly earnings, expected SSDI, retirement payments, etc.? i get it, my co-workers do, i hope you do. it's not a dis statement, but one sent to everybody i know at work.

I used to get those but I noticed last year I didn't. This year I didn't either. I guess they figure if you're drawing you know how much you're getting or going to get. This is my third year of this joy.

well, damn. wish i knew someone in tenn to help. all i know is going to tullahoma (sp?) for wind tunnel testing and touring jack daniels in dry county<<<you're spose to chuckle here...

you ever wanna talk, ya know where i am...i think. e is cassisun@aol.com.

isn't mem in tenn? she can be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    I used to get those but I noticed last year I didn't. This year I didn't either. I guess they figure if you're drawing you know how much you're getting or going to get. This is my third year of this joy.
    I believe the SSA changed this to save money. Now you can figure it out yourself on the SSA.GOV website. It's not just the disabled. It's everyone.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton
    I believe the SSA changed this to save money. Now you can figure it out yourself on the SSA.GOV website. It's not just the disabled. It's everyone.
    i don't think it's been changed, sue. i just got mine in june which reflected my earnings from last year. same statement format i've been getting for years with updated retirement amounts, ssdi amount, etc. what has always been weird to me is the ssdi amount always exceeds retirement amount so why would i try to hang in there until age 65 ?

i'm thinking if one doesn't work, one probably doesn't get it because there's no point.