Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Getting back on SSDI

I am sorry for that addiesue. The only explanation I can give is that in all of the training the individuals working for SSA get, only one day is devoted to disability. The rest is split between general information and retirement (can you guess, with all of the babyboomers retiring soon, what training will be the first to go? That one day for disability!).

You are in Tenessee? You can get some great specific information about your benefits from the work incentives planning and assistance program in your area: - CIL of Middle Tennessee or Tennessee Disability Coalition - Benefits To Work, both in Nashville I think.

I hope this helps!
    CWIC Melanie

I have spoken to them in nashville. I wasn't impressed actually but thank you. I have been fighting a battle for about 6 months with SSDI. All info I have gotten from my own digging and a little help from Shepherd Center in GA.

I would be glad to help as I can. What have you been working on with them? You can send it by private message if that it better for you.

There are a lot of things that you can do that the SS administration won't tell you about which can improve your chances of being approved.

I won't go into a lot of detail but suffice to say that there are many things at each stage of the application process and appeal process which can make your possibilities for approval quite a lot better.

You can do an internet search for terms like "SSDI secrets", and get some good info. One site that I've found to contain some tips that I haven't seen elsewhere is disabilityappeal.com. I'm close to the point either being approved or having to appeal and this site has a lot of really useful information for that point in the process.

Good luck to everyone who is seeking SSDI, and know that there are things that you can do to improve your chances.

hi melanie,

just to clarify, the quote from the Red Book is (as you quoted):

"That has lasted or that we can expect to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months." many of us here have been disabled for years (myself included) so for those of us, this criteria is immaterial and needn't be a source of concern. i wasn't even asked it.

this is not quite the same as your post which said it is expected to last 1 year.

may i ask how long you have been dealing with SSA and the Red Book?

addiesue, i have never found CIL very helpful. i know we have exchanged pm's. are you able to get a referral for a good SSA attorney? after 6 months, i would at least consult one.
    Last edited by cass; 10-08-2008 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    hi melanie,

the quote from the Red Book is (as you quoted):

That has lasted or that we can expect to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months.

this is not quite the same as your post which said it is expected to last.

may i ask how long you have been dealing with SSA and the Red Book?
    What is the difference? Both statements say the same thing to me.

actually, no they don't. you don't have to prove your SCI is expected to last 1 yr if you have been injured more than a year. as i said in my edited post above, i wasn't even asked so it's one less thing to worry about for those injured for years. that's all.

i should also mention the Red Book is updated yearly, so it is important to read the 2008 edition (which is why i reference it online).

Thanks Cass, I have it worked out finally. It only got fixed last month. I still have some concerns but I will not need a lawyer.

The "expected to last at least 12 months" is obviously not for people whose disability has already lasted that long. If it has already been over a year then that criteria has been met. You seem ready to jump on someone who is offering to help because she did not quote exactly from the red book, but the info she gave is accurate and says the same thing. I would hate to scare away someone who wants to help over something silly.