Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Getting back on SSDI

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    glad that worked out for you Do you know if they can lower your SSDI payment if you go back to work and don't make as much as you used to? That's my big concern...
    That's my worry too. Pre-injury I earned 6 figures --- That's not going to happen again. I've been afraid to earn over my SGA and forego SSDI for this reason.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

I believe they use a fixed number of quarters, using your best earnings quarters but to be sure see what's on ssa.gov

Hi Cass, see your in Wa. Not many west coasters here, then saw your an aerospace eng, or were, since your ssdi was okayed. Congrats. So you probably live near Everett i'd be thinkin,I'm in Edmonds. Mainly just wanted to say hi, I'm fairly new here,and really do enjoy the banter, but esp. the huge base of info available.I went on ssdi about 13 yrs ago. I had lupus for 30 yrs or so, and my wife wanted me at the time to go on it,esp. for our youngest at the time was 8,wanted to be sure he got to know his dad because things were a bit hairy health wise at the time.Well here I am yrs later and still kickin.
    My rheumatologist and I were and are good friends and he heartily agreed with my wife, so she wrote up application Took copies of all, because they'd ask same question later on, and ans. had to be pretty close. She killed them with info, but main thing was I had history to back it up. The soc sec guy called my dr, ad said he'd had alot of my doc's patients over the yrs and he didn't want to read all the answers, said he knew dr's history and if he thot I needed to be on SSDI that that was good enuf for him.Doc responded "that if anyone needed to be on it I did"
    BINGO .3 weeks to okay. My work place people had been really worried about if I could make it because of history of other's trying and it possibly takeing mo.'s or yr's to get okayed,but my wife is a great writer and really nailed down how to kill 'em kindness, and a hell of alot of info, more, an more n more.
    Just wanted to inroduce myself , say hi, neighbor, and ain't retirement great. PS, my dad worked at the big B for 38 yrs. Good luck. Guy

Hi everyone... I am glad the reapplication process was simple for you. I would like to stress one small thing: to be eligible for SSDI every individual has to meet 3 criteria:
    1. you must have a medical condition expected to last at least 1 year or result in death,
    2. you can not be working at the time of application and earning over Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA), $940 gross/month in 2008,
    3. You must have worked in the past and earned credits in the system (you would have earned a credit for every three month period you worked and earned atleast 1,050.00 and can earn a max of 4 credits per year), the number of credits you need depends on your age and the amount of SSDI you are eligible for depends on the amount of income you made before becoming disabled.

For people who meet the first two but who have not worked and earned a work history and credits (and who are not eligible to draw their benefits off another persons record, such as a parent if they became disabled before the age of 21 and one of their parents are deceased, retired, or disabled), these individuals get SSI - Supplemental Security Income.

This informations is available online in SSA's RED BOOK. Simply type "ssa red book" in your search engine. For more specific information, contact me.

CWIC Melanie

hi melanie,

i question condition 1. in my ssdi award letter it made no reference to how long my dis is expected to last. it said i am determined to be permanently disabled due to the fact i cannot work in my current occupation (the letter's exact wording for current occupation escapes me but i will find it).

the letter specifically said i was eligible for ssdi after 5 months of not working due to a dis. it said absolutely nothing about expected duration of dis. could you please cite a source? tyvm.

the Red Book is cited in the sticky on this topic. i do suggest everybody read it and it is available online.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/
    Last edited by cass; 10-08-2008 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    hi melanie,

i question condition 1. in my ssdi award letter it made no reference to how long my dis is expected to last. it said i am determined to be permanently disabled due to the fact i cannot work in my current occupation (the letter's exact wording for current occupation escapes me but i will find it).

the letter specifically said i was eligible for ssdi after 5 months of not working due to a dis. it said absolutely nothing about expected duration of dis. could you please cite a source? tyvm.

the Red Book is cited in the sticky on this topic. i do suggest everybody read it and it is available online.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/
    I used to have a book that was the manual for Disability Determination Service (actually separate agency from Social Security) and for SCI the only criteria cited were; diagnosis of chair dependent SCI per a physician and not currently working. It was my understanding that if these 2 criteria were met, you were eligible. I assume they assumed if you had SCI you were not going to recover from it (without a medical breakthrough) in any specified operiod of time. You are told at the time of eligibility that it is your responsibility to repoprt to SSA if you go to work or you experience medical improvement with your disability.

I also question #2 You have to be not working AT ALL to apply. If you work during that 5 - 6 month period you are ineligible.

Hi Cass. It is good to question everything, especially anything posted online. I can appreciate that. If you are receiving SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) as a disabled worker, you would have had to prove at the time that you applied that you had a medical condition expected to last a year or result in death to meet the medical eligibility.

The following is from SSA's Red Book, the handbook for disability, SSA, and employment.
    How Do We Define Disability?

The inability to engage in any substantial gainful activity (SGA) because of a medically determinable physical or mental impairment(s):
    • That can be expected to result in death, or
    • That has lasted or that we can expect to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months.
    Note: There is a separate definition of disability for children (under age 18) who are applying for the SSI program. A disabled child also qualifies for the SSI employment supports described later in this book.

Then, you would have had to meet the financial eligiblity, that you were not able at the time of your application to work and earn over SSA's limit, called Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) this amount is $940 gross/month in 2008. You could have been working and earning below this amount and still would have met the financial requirement for SSDI. The following is from SSA's Programs Operations Manual (POMS), a modified version of the rules (the ability to enter data has been removed) that are used by field staff across the country for every aspect of their job.

DI 00115.015 Definitions of Disability

A. Title II, the Term “Disability”

Under Title II, the term “disability” means:
    1. The inability to engage in any substantial gainful activity (SGA) by reason of any medically determinable physical or mental impairment(s) which can be expected to result in death or which has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months;
    Lastly, you had to have worked and earned credits into the system to qualify as a disabled worker.

Once you were found to be disabled according to SSA's eligibility criteria you would have had a 5 full month waiting period before you were entitled to SSDI benefits. The reason for the wait is under the rational that within the 5 month period a short term injury would heal to the point where the individual would be able to work and support themselves over SGA and is described below from the POMS site.
    DI 00115.020 Period of Disability

A period of disability is a continuous period of time during which an individual is under a disability as defined by section 216(i) of the Social Security Act. Such period may not be established before the first day that an individual is under a disability and meets the disability insured status earnings requirements of the Social Security Act. A period must not be less than 5 full calendar months duration.

However, for the purpose of this 5-month requirement, a full calendar month includes a month:
    • Where the beginning date of the freeze period is the first day of the month; and
    • Where the cessation date of the disability is the last day of that month.
    The beginning date of an individual's “period of disability” is usually the date of onset of his/her disability; however, the period may begin on a later date if the individual did not meet the earnings requirement until after becoming disabled.

A disabled individual may file an application for a past “period of disability” even though he/she is full retirement age (FRA), but the period of disability must begin (unless entitled to disability insurance benefits (DIB) without a waiting period) at least 5 full calendar months before the month FRA is attained and end no later than the last day of the month before the month in which FRA is attained. (See FRA charts in RS 00615.003).

CWIC Melanie

Hi addiesue. I hate to disagree but the SSA rule is that you can not be working and earning over SGA, not that you can not be employed and have earnings from employment. This is a common misconception. Please see the post to Cass for SSA's Program Operations Manual (POMS) regulations on earnings.

Interesting. I was strongly told by the idiot at social security and by a counselor at Shepherd if I worked at all in the 6 month waiting period they would consider me "not disabled" and not give me a check.