Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Getting back on SSDI

Getting back on SSDI

Well, I now can state, from experience, after working 21 yrs as a quad that getting back on SSDI was extremely easy. I am now approved, my dependent child is approved.

I applied 1 and a half months ago after being on medical LOA from work since the end of January. I never even had to go to an SSA office. Forms were filed online by me and the local SSA office only called twice with minor questions.

What a difference from 22 years ago! So don't be afraid you'll have trouble getting back on SSDI just because you've worked for years or are thinking of doing so.

So glad to hear you have gotten that settled Cass.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Yeah, the only criterion for sci chair users is that you are not working.

Congratulations! Your 21 years work as a quad with a kid is phenomenal, enjoy your well desrved retirement.

Glad to hear this was reinstated for you and your son without delay or hassle.

Here's hoping retirement will allow you to have less physical pain.

I'm glad that went so smoothly! That's one big worry - gone!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

thx, but i assure you i am not planning on retirement just yet! i will be on med LOA several more months. i just wanted ppl to know getting back on SSDI was relatively easy.

we shall see what the following months bring. COBRA starts 8/1 and i am trying to figure out life insurance. i can convert my boeing paid policy. anyway, i imagine i will have to continue LOA for several months while i sort out what to do with the rest of my life.

so, folks, i just wanted everyone to know how easy it was to get back on SSDI so nobody is afraid to go out there and work. you will have no trouble getting back on SSDI if you need to.

Cass-
    did they recalculate how much you get for SSDI from what you'd gotten before? I'm concerned about it b/c the last several quarters before my accident I was making A LOT more money than I anticipate initially making going back to work(the year before I was at at least 50K including all the OT and frelance jobs I was working)...I don't want it to be recalculated down to a lower ammt than what I'm getting now...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

chelle, no. i am getting what i have earned. they didn't even look at what i got all those years ago. it was definitely worth it to work for many reasons, but this is one of them. my SSDI is much higher now. they look at all your work quarters.

glad that worked out for you Do you know if they can lower your SSDI payment if you go back to work and don't make as much as you used to? That's my big concern...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

chelle, i don't think they can lower it, but i will ask. i know that my SSDI is higher than my SS retirement and if i live that long, my SSDI will convert to SS retirement but my monthly check stays the same.