Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can aides legally do? (MD in my case.)

What can aides legally do? (MD in my case.)

Last night, the local news had a report on home health care, and what they can and can't do legally. Unfortunately, I could only watch part, as my aide was coming into my room for night care, and I didn't want her to see, in case she's doing something she shouldn't be legally.

One thing that I did hear was caring for colostomies has to be done by a CNA or above.

The web site is wbaltv.com. Click on I-Team to find the report. Also, I would check in your location for what is legal, though I know we need things done (bowel care, cathing for those who need it, care of suprapubics, Mitrofanoffs, colostomies, range of motion, wound care on early wounds to try to prevent them from getting to the point of needing wound care nurses, etc.)

I will need at least one aide soon, to replace one of the evening aides (I get three hours in the afternoon weekdays, and 44 hours a week used for evenings from Jewish Community Services - they know about each other. I really need more care - thanks to upper back pains, shoulder blade issues, and balance problems, which have limited my function, and continue to further limit them as time goes on and the issues worsen, I was never able to be as independent as I wanted to be - I admit I don't have the driving personality to be as independent as some C-5s here are, but I wanted to take care of myself to the extent of my ability, and my ability never was C-5 due to the other issues, no matter how hard I tried. I hate being dependent, and unable to be as independent as I could be at my level. It's depressing, on top of the pains, financial worries, and worries about my Mom, as you all know or can imagine if you're independent.

Thanks,
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

If it isn't trouble, could some quads of C-5 or above post their list of job requirements for aides here? I might as well take advantage of the experience here when I continue to update mine.

Thank you,
    Alan

I'm in Canada, and get my workers through an agency, so it'll be different.

Mine do:
    IC and bowls, track lift transfers.. No manual lifting, and pretty much what I ask. I'm givin some slack in my care plan as the office trusts my judgement and common sense, SUCKERSS!

They CAN'T do dressings... Even bandaids technically, nail triming, windows, I kid you not, and BBQs.

However, EVERYTHING they do has to be okayed/taught by a Registered Nurse andd/or Theropist.

At C5 I get 27hrs a week with 3 visits a day

Are you private hiring or hiring through an agency? This makes a BIG difference.

(KLD)

Private hiring, one aide paid by county, other by a religious family service organization.

I really need more care, but can't find how to get it.
    Alan

In most states, if your hire a PCA privately, they don't even need to be a CNA or HHA. You can hire anyone who is willing to learn to do the work, and who is dependable and shows up. It is the agency or state licensure boards that limit what they are allowed to do.

(KLD)

Thank you for that.

I am trying to find a way to get more funding for a few more hours.
    Alan

I'v been trying to make a list of duties, but I need almost everything done for me (so embarassing to say, on a site where so many live independently or nearly so, but that's my reality, thanks to pain, scapula problems, and a relatively inaccessible house.) What a fiasco.
    Alan

Alan, this is a stretch, but have you considered contacting local TV/Newspapers with your plight? This is a much bigger story than just yourself
    and the media would definitely want to be involved if it meant bringing caregivers and those in need together.

From a purely PR standpoint, this is gold.
    And the truth shall set you free.

My morning person has told me she can't do anything she isn't licensed for, including bowel care, and she isn't licensed for much. With what the County pays, I'm not going to get CNAs.
    Alan