Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Very embarrassing day. :(

Very embarrassing day. :(

I rode our city van to the podiatrist today.
    I've only seen him once before, 2 years ago.
    But he's the only one in town and my toe is looking really bad.
    I didn't like him then and now I know why,
    The lady driving the van was a new driver.
    She unhooked my wheelchair and went outside to get the lift open.
    I waited till the lift was extended out, straight, ready to get on.
    I started out and the driver said, "Do you have room?"
    (meaning she just noticed how close the lift was going to be to the curb,
    when it landed on the road.)
    About that time my front wheels fell of the side of the van,
    down onto the lift which was 6"'s or so lower than the interior of the van.
    She had started lowering the lift to see if I had enough room to get off when I landed.
    To see if the curb was too close.
    She never said, "Wait I'm cking this out." "Nothing"

I ride this van 1-3 times a week.
    You wait till it's straight then you come out on it.
    The few times there was something wrong, they always communicate to me to hold up.

There I was stuck with my front on the lift,
    and my seat in the van tilted over the side.
    She started to push the lift button again & I yelled stop!
    So she came in the van & tried to pull me back in but couldn't.
    I asked her to get help.
    So she went in the podiatrist and one of the male customers & a nurse came and pulled me back in the van.
    I was scared to death, but I wasn't hurt, so I just chalked it up to a good lesson.

So as I was waiting to see the podiatrist,
    the nurse that helped me started asking me all kinds of questions.
    "Who do you live with?" "Who came with you?" on, & on.
    I answered but thought she was being very nosey.
    I went to the treatment room and she was taking my shoe off.
    I had my foot with the bad toe just laying on top of the shoe.
    My pca had taped the back of the shoe to my ted hose.
    So I told the nurse I needed that tape put back afterwards or my shoe would fall off when I tilted back.
    She said, "That's why you need to bring someone with you."
    The Dr. does his thing & tells them to put the tape back on my shoe.
    I think everything is okay.

I go to the front and the nurse says not to come back by myself.
    I have to have someone with me.
    I said, "I'm not coming back."
    I ask how long will it take to get the results from the culture that they took.
    He said he might need to change the antibiotics I'm taking now.
    She says 2-3 days and the Dr. will call you.
    But we don't give out results on the phone.
    You have to schedule & come back in. Be sure & bring someone with you.
    I repeated, "I'm not coming back!"

I asked to speak to the Dr. & they said he's with a patient.
    So I waited about 30 minutes and then he came through the waiting room.
    I asked to talk to him & I asked if it was too much putting the tape back on my shoe.
    I thought that was why I had to have some one.
    He said, "No, you don't need to be by yourself."
    Then it clicked, he thinks it's my fault I was hanging out the van.
    I'm incompetant.
    He's talked to no one about what happened.
    But of course it was "me."
    Couldn't be a lack of communication between the 2 of us.
    So I'm feeling about 2' high.
    Plus the visit is no good, because I'm not going back.

Then I ask for my signed medicaid paper.
    My trip is pd by Medicaid but I have to get the Dr. to sign the form.
    She said she was trying to get Medicaid on the phone,
    because they charge $35 to fill out papers.
    I said all they want is a signature.
    She said that would be $35.

I got my paper with her still on the phone holding for Medicaid.
    I went home so upset. Then the kicker.
    My sister (I live by) said the nurse from the podiatrist called,
    and told her I had to have someone with me when I come back.
    Not to come alone.
    56 yrs old & I have to have a babysitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels

56 yrs old & I have to have a babysitter.
    No you don't because you're not going back. Don't let them get you down.

And hey, you didn't end up on the floor...I always take that as a positive in those scary situations.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Mona -
    I am so sorry. That was totally inappropriate behavior for both the doctor and his office staff. You can file a complaint with the local or state medical society and also the state medical board.

There is absolutely NO reason why they won't give you the test results over the phone, unless they just want to be able to bill Medicaid for another office visit. They probably cited HIPAA right -- nonsense if you agree to have results shared via phone. And the $35 to sign a form while you are present --- this is approaching unethical.

I'm sorry.

First the replacement driver with no experience, and then it went downhill from there. You poor gal. It is so difficult to find good help these days!

They can NOT force you to bring someone with you to the appointments...1st of all if they share your info with that person(unless you've given explicit permission), they're breaking HIPPA rules, 2nd they can not dictate how a patient arrives at their appointments.

The driver was a bad communicator and maybe mildly negligent....HOWEVER that should NOT have any bearing on the dr seeing you. You need to call the head person in the practice and explain that you are a COMPETENT and INDEPENDANT(they need not know if you have an assistant) ADULT and are not required to "bring someone with you" nor do you have anyone available to drop their lives in order to needlessly attend dr's appts with you....They can communicate directly WITH you and if your script needs to be changed, they can send it to your pharmacy...

As for the $35 charge to fill out forms...that's becoming more and more customary, and it's B/C of Medicaid paperwork that it is...My podiatrist's office TYPICALLY charges that no matter what the forms are, there are exceptions to everything however(ex: I got a disability verification/property tax form signed w/out the fee b/c I had it completely filled out and the head nurse brought it to him for me)...That dr spends A LOT of his "free" time(aka time at home, at the end of the day) filling out insurance, medicaid & medicare paperwork...Hence the reason the policy was enacted the 1st of this year...Other dr's offices are doing the same...Similarly, one of my dr's charges a $50 fee for missed appointments, most of the rest $25-$35...

Ultimately, if they KNOW you need abx for an issue you saw them for and they're denying it, they're committing malpractice by not treating the condition they diagnosed...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Sorry you had such a bad day. I say no reasoning for having to have someone with you unless they are just too lazy to do what they need to do. Really don't think they can require that but sounds like they are trying.

I'm with Chelle the charge to fill out forms is becoming very commonplace in my area also. Almost all the doctors are doing it no matter if it's a three-page form or just a signature. I have some doctors that work with me about not charging but most. There are also charging for missed appointments if you do not give at least 24 hours notice. Seems everyone is doing that now. One of the things I hate most about some of my doctors is they want the co-pay before you even see the doctor. Pay for something before you receive it I just don't understand it.

Hopefully you have a better experience next time and I wouldn't worry about carrying a baby sitter.

Well at least you didn’t pee in your shoe too! It amazes me how shit happens not only to me, but now I see to you also. Chock this up to a bad day and regroup again.

You know what to do once you can look at the circumstances with a little less emotion. Hey I know what you are going through been there done it. Take a breath get out your word processor and write down everything. Make sure the state of affairs is documented. Call the transportation co. the Dr. Office and your Medicaid contact. You may get more satisfaction with the cover your ass philosophy.

Was going to say good luck, but in this situation you need to make your own.
    T6 complete

Like everyone else, they're probably more concerned about liability ... like if they couldn't lift you or they dropped you or what-not. Especially on their property. I don't think it was a case where they thought you were incompetent?

Sounds like you need to find someone else anyway. In my old apartment building, there was a travelling nurse who would do footcare. I never sought her out as I thought the pressure sores were above and beyond her scope.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by HeathQuad
    I'm with Chelle the charge to fill out forms is becoming very commonplace in my area also. Almost all the doctors are doing it no matter if it's a three-page form or just a signature. I have some doctors that work with me about not charging but most. There are also charging for missed appointments if you do not give at least 24 hours notice. Seems everyone is doing that now. One of the things I hate most about some of my doctors is they want the co-pay before you even see the doctor. Pay for something before you receive it I just don't understand it.
    What about putting a bug in your doctor's ear about a 'yearly charge' to keep him on as doctor? I pay $88 (it's $120 for family) and this gives me unlimited doctor's notes, forms and he will call into the pharmacy refill prescriptions. It also covers so many missed appointments (maybe up to three - I'm not sure). Would this be legal for your doctor to do in your state? $88/yr is better than $35 a form when you're in our position!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    What about putting a bug in your doctor's ear about a 'yearly charge' to keep him on as doctor? I pay $88 (it's $120 for family) and this gives me unlimited doctor's notes, forms and he will call into the pharmacy refill prescriptions. It also covers so many missed appointments (maybe up to three - I'm not sure). Would this be legal for your doctor to do in your state? $88/yr is better than $35 a form when you're in our position!
    To tell you the truth I really don't know if that's illegal or not. I think it's more of a convenience fee more than a regulated charge cause it takes so much of their time to do the forms. I can understand the charge but it does get expensive sometimes. Most of my state forms they don't charge for but my long-term disability forms from work gets frustrating for them. Sometimes they will send out three forms over three months just asking questions in a different manner. It's crazy. But thanks for the idea I don't go back till September maybe I'll ask him.