Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of knee hyperextension

Do you have any calf function? If not, then that weakness is probably contributing to the hyperextension. My last post was not as clear as it should have been there. I would suggest focusing on the hamstrings in that leg to begin with.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Do you have any calf function? If not, then that weakness is probably contributing to the hyperextension. My last post was not as clear as it should have been there. I would suggest focusing on the hamstrings in that leg to begin with.
    calf weakness? my calf is small compared to my other calf. im able to point my toes down to make my calf bigger
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

I have had hyperextension in both knees for a few years now and have been concentrating on building up the quads and glutes, which has helped. I can now walk with two canes w/o hyperextending. Every once in awhile one knee will pop back but I can correct it without falling on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Teedog
    I have had hyperextension in both knees for a few years now and have been concentrating on building up the quads and glutes, which has helped. I can now walk with two canes w/o hyperextending. Every once in awhile one knee will pop back but I can correct it without falling on my face.
    I fully agree, strenghtening the quads and gluts allows for the knee not to be locked. When I walk and try not to hyperextend, I feel it as if the glut muscles take some of the weight off the knee. The gluteus medius in particular on the side of the hip, I can feel it burning!

Concur with bioness. I have had 1 for over a year now. Recovering stroke 2008
    Bioness resolved my foot drop & knee hyperextension problems. Can now walk unassisted with this wonderful device.

evoone, is your walking close to normal?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Like many on this thread, I have foot drop and have experienced hyper extension.

I have used the Bioness L-300 for over 5 years now and it has allowed the benefits walkiing full time, achieve better balance and restored my overall confidence.

Hyper extension was a big problem for me, but under the supervision of my PT, we focused on strengthening the vastic and hamstring muscles. Using the seated leg extension machine and the seated hamstring machine at my gym ( 20-30 LBS 3 sets, 15 reps per) to start.

In addition; the sit to stand and squatting exercises are probably the very best. 3-5 sets of 15-20 reps to start.

hows ur walking kelrod? close to normal?

Looks like we are on the same boat. I try to work out on my legs 2/3 days a week doing sit ups and working out on bike. I noticed that as long as my muscles are strong the extensions dont happen. But when i take a break from work out for extended period of time like for instance 2 weeks like month ago on my vacation it comes back. So pretty much we have no luxury of stopping the workout routine like ABS have. I think i will just keep working out to the end of my days.

Quote Originally Posted by mj23 View Post
    hows Ur walking elrod? close to normal?
    My walking is good as long as I use the bioness device. Otherwise, I would drag my foot.

I should note that the device can be programmed to reduce/eliminate hyper extension