Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting rid of knee hyperextension

the Bioness l300 is an awesome piece..I use one myself..but it also takes doing exercises to help my hyper-extension... I do them to strengthen quads and calf muscles..

I don't have severe hyperextension but my knee has a hard time finding its sweet spot.
    mj- how has this changed over the years for you? Funny how this thread would pop up now.
    I asked the PT about this issue yesterday. I am doing balance exercises to try to get in tune with my lack proprioception on my lower left leg and weak ankle on that side.
    I am also trying to strengthen my quads though my left quad is actually as strong or stronger than my right (stronger) leg.
    My left hammy needs work but it is coming along slowly but surely. Nothing comes easy nor over night.
    Love to know how some of you guys who have been injured longer are making out.

After I had achillies tendon lengthening on my foot, my knee hyperextension went away. But my walking still isn't normal, close but not normal yet.
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Hello MJ 23,

Brown Sequard Syndrome, T 7-8 post 7 years.
    My left leg is weaker and I suffer from foot drop as well.
    I walk with the assistance of the bioness L-300 (foot drop) and a single point cane. I have also experienced hyper extension and my PT's helped correct my posture while in gait. They instructed me to walk with a subtle squat while maintaining your pelvic tilt.

Your glutes should be tucked in and shoulders even with your hips. This eliminated the hyper extension and tendon issues I'd begun to experience in my right knee. Agnes is on point recommending the pool.

Sometimes we are so focused on standing straight and walking straight that we are actually too straight or robotic when walking. The squat motion helps facilitate a more relaxed motion in the knees and makes it nearly impossible to hyper extend.

It takes practice, but the more you do it the more natural your gait will feel and look.

My hyper-extension went away after I had Achilles tendon lengthening surgery. Now I jsyt to strengthen my leg and foot but its kinda hard cause I wear a afo.
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

I'm glad the surgery went well for you! Amazing how all of our injuries are similiar but different.

Quote Originally Posted by mj23 View Post
    when i walk my left knee hyperextenends but i also have foot drop on my left foot as well. does my knee snap back because of my foot drop and instability in my ankle or just cause my knee is weak or cause my hamstrings are tight? and also what muscles do i strengthin to stop from my knee snapping back? hamstrings, whole leg, what?
    I emailed you idk if you got it or have same email address but i have same exact problem. Wanted to know if anyrhing has helped you. I just created an account on this site

I responded to your email. Did you see it?