Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Depression....what can you do?

Okay ... where to begin. The electric leg bag emptier is attached to the back of my footrest. The tubing from the bag slides through the emptier valve. A switch is attached to my chair. Press the switch, valves opens. A great device and very "hidden."

Here are some links:
    www.rdequipment.com
    www.walkandroll.com/legbag/
    www.wheelchairs.com (go to options/accessories then see Leg Bag Opener 1 and 2)

As for other stuff, my best advice is to be creative and don't rely on "adaptive" equipment. It has taken me years to discover what works and what does not. It's an evolving process. I'll give some examples:

* Getting into my home independently. I own my own condo in a building that has an underground garage. I use the garage door opener to get inside regardless of whether I am driving or rolling. The door into the garage is electric, per my request when I purchased my condo. Once at my door, I use a remote device to turn off the alarm. I use the same device to arm the alarm when in bed. I use a key holder to unlock the door. It's a readily available "adaptive" device that works like a lever. My door handle is a lever. Easy to open. (Note: Electric door openers are also available for your home.)

* Rawhide loops. Quads have trouble picking stuff up. The answer is rawhide loops. Get a package of plastic suction things (like the kind that hold stuff on a window) and superglue them to the back of TV remotes, cordless phones, etc. Thread a piece of rawhide shoelace through the metal holder on the suction thing and make a knot. Instant, durable loop so you can grab stuff.

* Cheaper reacher. So your remote falls on the floor and you don't have a fancy $300 reacher. No problem. Go to Home Depot and buy a few dowels (round wooden sticks). Screw a small hook into one end, thread a rawhide loop through a hole you drill in the other end. Use the hook to pick up anything hookable. You can make long ones, short ones, whatever. I have one attached to my chair at all times. Better than hauling around an expensive reacher. And easier to use.

That's all I can think of right now. Feel free to ask more questions. And Joseph -- I'd be glad to show you and your son my home. We live very near one another.

Thanks Clipper, I'd love to take you up on that. I'll talk to King Justin and see what he says.

hey Clipper,

Justin says he'd like to visit and see how you do it all.