Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Depression....what can you do?

meds

what reason does he give for not taking medication for depression. a lot of people attach a stigma to taking anti depression meds, but no ones superman or woman and the truth is if your not depressed at some time then you're not normal and if you've got SCI then you are going to get depress. if someone gave you a pill that could help you walk again we'd take it in a heart beat well anti depression meds can help your mind get back up and going so why not? just a thought and good luck

About that job.........

Hi, Alice. This may sound cruel but I think it needs to be said. You mentioned a job offer that would take you to Turin, Italy. Considering all that you have posted I think it would do your son a world of good to become as independent as possible. To help him do this you should take that job in Turin. This will give your son the time he needs to learn his independence.

On the other hand, I do not know if I can justify going to the mediteranean area at this time. There are some terrible things afoot and you need to weigh the pros and cons of going.

A very wise woman once told me, "If you get the chance to travel, do it while you are young enough to enjoy it."

"And so it begins."

To Clipper and crew

You sound so good in terms of being positive and moving forward. My son name is Justin,23 yrs old, two and half years post C5, He has biceps and nothing more. He spends alot of time conversing with friends via email and phone, playing fantasy sports and watching all his sporting events on TV, along with all the other shows he enjoys. He has some fears about continuing his schooling.So he's not very productive with his life at this point and we've talked very plainly about that with each other. We treat him like a King. In fact we all call him King Justin .He goes out a few nights a week to clubs with his old friends and we have Bible studys at our house that he really enjoys.He doesn't like conversing much on this site or getting together with people who are struggling with the same issues in life. He says it makes him depressed. His focus is always on the positive and enjoying his day.Im his main care giver and after 2 and half years my energy is wearing a bit thin. I struggle about things I never had a problem with before.Some of which I probably would never say except to my closest friends and even they may not understand. Ive always prided mself on being pretty open about Lifes difficult issues but I must say I feel very alone in this one. I love my son more then life itself but I to fear that we may be stuck in this mode for awhile yet to come. Hoping for the cure. So we can move forward.

I am a 21 female 3 years post-injury. My parents have been incredibly supportive throughout my entire ordeal but maybe a little too much so. I know that this is probably the hardest thing a parent could ever face but knowing that is really hard on me as well. They always want to help (or take over) everything I do.
    I was at a stage in my life where I was really independant and had many plans- when my accident happened, everything fell apart and my parents swooped in and wanted to do EVERYTHING for me. And I just let them. They were too involved in everything and I had no space.
    This past summer I took an internship in a large city and moved away from them. I had the best time I've had since my injury. I had my own apartment and stuff and 'Space.' Now I am living with them again and can't handle it. It is at their house that that I get mad at them and then I get frustrated and depressed from the guilt. I plan to move out for Dec. 1. They want me to stay but I get along much better with them when I am on my own.
    Life sucks like this but hopefully it won't be too much longer. I think that your son is capable of doing more for himself and I wish him the best. He needs some independance.

Tara

Question for you Tara.Do you need care around the clock? or can you do some things for yourself. There is not a hole lot Justin can do for himself. I no of people with the same level of function who are on their own, so I know it's possible. But they manage a bunch of care givers with a lot of difficulties. We have talked about it and I hope up the road he could move in that direction. But we'll see. We generally get along real well because we enjoy alot of the same things. But I gotta tell you, working a 10 hour day at some job, coming home and taking care of your family of 7 is easier then this. Thats the way it use to be but I'm learning a new level of giving my life away.I mean that in a positive way. But I do grow weary at times. Come cure!PS- way to go Tara!

Depression

Hi Alice I'm an 18 year old girl level c6/7. I was injured sept '99. I too have the same probs as your son. If you want to chast you can e-mail me.
    Nat

How do you Email?

Hello Carecure members,

Sometimes a message comes with a icon that you click on and send email; other times this icon is not there. How do you respond to members without this icon? I notice that my name is not associated with this icon. If any of you know, please let me know. I would like to respond to severl people.

Thanks, Alice

Originally posted by AliceM:

It is devastating to see the one you love the most suffer constantly. My son's injury is almost two years old. He has always refused anti-depressants. I have tried to cheer him up which seems to have little effect. What can I do? Do I ignore him, try to get him using his wonderful mind thinking about sports, etc.? I am at a loss. He got a chocolate lab puppy 4 months ago and she has helped temper his dark moods. The weekends and holidays are his worst times. He talks constantly of the mountain bike trails, back packing adventures, etc. always in terms of I will never get to experience again. If I say once we get your pain in control, you can go biking, hiking etc. he becomes very mad. He says, "it is not the same Mom". His dark moods spread to me and it is so hard to fight it and remain positive which is my nature. I am looking forward to reading your adivse. Thank you.

Alice, click on the profile card and there is generally an e-mail address on the profile page.

Alice, if the envelope icon does not appear on your posts it is because you did not select "allow others to see your e-mail address" in your profile on this site. If you want to allow this, go to your profile and change that feature.

Others who do not want to get mail or reveal their e-mail address will have also left this feature turned off, and will not have an envelope on their posts either.

Some people are reluctant to do this for privacy issues or to prevent spammers from collecting their address from this site. You can set up another e-mail account at a free site if you want to help prevent this. For example, the SCI-Nurses have a e-mail address at this site: www.spinalinjury.net for this reason.

AliceM, you may remember that you had trouble getting onto this site originally. For some reason, i.e. you had not put in the correct email address or your mailbox was request was sent to me for validation. I went ahead to validate your registration even though your email was invalid. Because the email is invalid, this means that the system did not include it in your profile. You need to go to your profile and put in a valid email address so that others can send email to you.

I understand why many people may not want "spam" email and are reluctant to put their email addresses on public web sites such as this. However, this web site does not make it easy for an automated web robot to snuff through the site and pull out email addresses. You have a much higher risk of getting your email address on spam lists by registering on newspaper sites, voting sites, etc. where they sell the email list to other companies. This, I promise you, we will not do. We will not be selling the registration membership email addresses to any commercial entity.

Please note that the site also needs a valid email address before it can implement the PopIt feature which can send you daily or weekly email digests of replies to topics that you select.

Wise.