Thread: bowel accidents

bowel accidents

I have been having more frequent bowel accidents lately. Whenever I have to go anywhere it seriously takes three days prep just to feel secure enough to be out of the house for a few hours for appts and stuff. I cant really tell when I have to go, and most times just get no warning at all.

Last week I had to take the VA shuttle to the hosp for an appt and had an accident there despite my usual prep. It was completly embarrassing and humiliating on the ride back. It got on my clothes. Stuck in a crowded van. On a really hot day. It was just awful.

I usually make sure that the bowel is empty as i can get it, take immodium and practically starve for the two days prior to any travel just to avoid having any possibility of an accident. But on this trip it was over 100 degrees outside and I took a bottle of water to drink. It caused an accident. What else can I do?

I have another trip to the portland VA coming up in a couple of weeks, and it is an even longer trip for me. I dont want to have this happen again, nor do I wish to dehydrate myself for the trip. What should I do?

It sounds as though your bowel program is not controlled at all. You shouldn't have to go through all of this to not have an accident.

What do you do for it? Have you changed any medications at all? How about what you are eating? Drinking? Do you get up to go or do it lying down?

If you can give me some more specifics either here or PM me, I will be happy to try to get you back on the right rack.

CKF

Not eating is probably the worst thing you can do for your bowel program. If I skip a few meals due to being sick or something, the next time I eat I have to be ready to jump on the pot or I'll pay for it. The main thing is you need to have a routine, if you go everyday or every other day, just keep it the same as much as possible. Your body will start to work like clockwork over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Streezz
    If I skip a few meals due to being sick or something, the next time I eat I have to be ready to jump on the pot or I'll pay for it.
    Yeah, I found out even water does the same thing.

What is your diet like? Any correlation between accidents and certain foods?
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

No, I eat fish and rice and vegetables the occasional chicken. No dairy. I'm always very watery and have no warning when I have to go. It started the last time I went to Korea for work. The dr thought I caught some kind of bug over there and did tests. Nothing of course. aprobably more pressure on my spinal cord causing it. I'll be taking "grampers" (diapers) with me on the next trip. It is an all day affair.

If you give me the particulars of what your program is- I might be able to help you get it more regulated. I agree with all of the information that has been shared. Skipping meals can be deadly to anyone, not just someone with a sci.

So- what medications are you on? what do you specifically do for your program? You already gave me your diet.... but what type of fluids do you drink (like a lot of fruit juice, water, whatever) do you do your program sitting up or in bed? Any other GI problems?

CKF

Take more fiber... Also stress can cause issues...

I agree with all of what is being said, but from personal history have found that routine is a big thing. Best of luck.