Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: What happened to YOU?

Ironically, my soon-to-be-by-law niece asked yesterday about how I became paralyzed. There were things she never knew. I enjoyed educating her on what actually happened and I answered her questions before she could ask them ... no bladder or bowel, etc. Now if I ever have trouble (an accident) she'll know why. We've known each other for more than six years and the topic never came out .. so that was cool.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

When I was in my 20s about the same time the olympics where on (I can't remember where they were). Anyway, I was pretty buff back then, but in no shape to compete in the games.

I had this guy about the same age corner me and asked if I were going to these games. He had apparently seen a section on the local current affairs program about the para olympic competitors going over there. I didn't mind this quest so I answered "no" and made some comment about how I wouldnt have made it anyhow because I don't compete. He came back with this silly comment "Why not? you could do it if you tried a little harder" I think he was trying to give me some sort of inspirational talk... My last comment made his jaw drop... it was "So why aren't you going? I am sure if you lost some of that weight and trained 4 hours a day you would be selected to go. All it takes is a little determination!".

As I rolled of sucessfully containing my laughter I heard him say to his date... "Man! that guys got an attitude problem" at which point she says to him "yeah he does... but it seems he has a problem with your attitude, not his." At which point I just about fell outta my wheelchair laughing so hard.

Incidently, I met up with this girl out of the blue a week later and we started dating. Lasted about 2 years but we are still very good friends.