Thread: Relationship between self-reported disability and caregiver hour

Relationship between self-reported disability and caregiver hour

• Samsa GP, Hoenig H and Branch LG (2001). Relationship between self-reported disability and caregiver hours. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 80 (9): 674-84. Summary: OBJECTIVE: In a large, population-based cohort of patients with spinal cord dysfunction, we assessed the relationship between self-reported physical function and hours of care received. DESIGN: Data were obtained by a cross-sectional, self-administered survey used to help establish a national registry of veterans with spinal cord dysfunction. Participants were originally identified from Department of Veterans Affairs databases as having a high probability of spinal cord dysfunction. All 13,542 respondents reporting spinal cord dysfunction and also having complete data on physical function and caregiver hours (CGHs) were included. Physical function was measured using the Self- Reported Functional Measure, and CGHs were obtained from a self-report of hours of caregiving received during the last 2 wk. RESULTS: The relationship between self-reported disability and CGHs was strong (Spearman correlation = -0.70). Subjects with moderate levels of disability had the most variability in CGHs. After stratifying by total Self-Reported Functional Measure score, the strongest predictors of CGHs were instrumental activities of daily living and individual Self- Reported Functional Measure items, explaining a moderate amount of variation in CGHs. CONCLUSION: These data support the construct validity of the Self-Reported Functional Measure and suggest that self- reported disability measures can be of use in describing the clinical epidemiology of patients with spinal cord dysfunction. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-post/Entrez/query?db=m&form=6&dopt=r&uid=11523970> Center for Clinical Health Policy Research, and Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27705, USA.

I'm Stupid

Wise, I'm probably the only one and if so, please forgive me for my ignorance. I find I try to read all of the abstracts you kindly offer to us. I also find I don't understand most of what is being said. If anyone else professes to feel this way, would it be possible to offer a brief synopsis sometimes. I know you devote a great deal of time and effort to this forum and I hate to ask for additional work on your part, but I'm a dumb blonde and I just don't always get it.

martha

Someday, you should come visit our Center and find out why we don't think blondes are dumb. This is a study from the Veterans Adminstration, surveying over 13,500 patients who have some form of spinal cord injury and with detailed information concerning their disability and caregiver hours. As you might expect, they found that the number of caregiver hours increased with the severity of disability measured in several ways. Also, not surprisingly, they found most variability of caregiver hours at moderate levels of disability and less variability at low levels of disability (where caregiver hours were less) and severe disability (where caregiver hours were greater). The authors claim that the ability of the different measures of disability to predict caregiver hours validate the measures. I think the more important result is that caregiver hours is a good measure of severe disability.

Wise.

thanks

Wise, Thanks for the explanation. Actually that's pretty much what I thought they were saying, but it seems so obvious without having to conduct a study that I assumed there must be more to it that I was missing. I appreciate your time.

martha