Thread: Ventilator question

Ventilator question

Hi Everyone,
    I'm asking this question for a friend. Is there anyone out there that is/was a very high injury that was vent dependant for an extended period of time and is now vent free?
    Dan was, (C2) weaning at around 4 mos. I don't consider that extended, but my friend's son is over a year post.
    She is concerned that the longer vent dependant, the more difficult to get off. Also, any info about trials on the phrenic nerve pacer would be greatly appreciated.
    Always,
    Cathy

I knew a C2 who had gotten the old-style pacer and was vent free. Info on the phrenic pacer trials can be gotten by contacting Dr. Onders at raymond.onders@uhhs.com.

-Steven

The question is why the vent in the first place. In order to breathe, one needs intact nerves to your diaphragm (C3,4,5). If the person has spinal cord swelling or other medical issues and has those nerves intact, then it may be more difficult to wean off a vent but not impossible.
    Also for a phrenic nerve pacer to work those nerves (C3,4,5) need to be intact. Phrenic nerve pacers have been being placed for many years. It is a significant surgery, but may be appropriate if those nerves are intact.

JM

Cathy, sometimes the difficulty in getting off a vent is psychological-even people not paralyzed can get very dependent on it. And it is physically hard, tiring to get off also.It takes time and a lot of trust.

Quote Originally Posted by cathy j
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm asking this question for a friend. Is there anyone out there that is/was a very high injury that was vent dependant for an extended period of time and is now vent free?
    Dan was, (C2) weaning at around 4 mos. I don't consider that extended, but my friend's son is over a year post.
    She is concerned that the longer vent dependant, the more difficult to get off. Also, any info about trials on the phrenic nerve pacer would be greatly appreciated.
    Always,
    Cathy
    Hi - I know this post is old, but I'm a C2-C3 and I've been pacing full-time since 1981. I'd be happy to answer any questions. Pacing has made a HUGE difference in my life.

Chuck

Chuck

Chuck, thanks for the offer. I hope you get some questions. I see you still have an Olympic trach button.

How often are you having to suction?

Do you have the type where you have to switch pacers back and forth from the left and right every 12 hours or do you have the type that allows you to pace both sides at all times?

Have you had to have any revision of your system over the years?

Do you use a vent at all (at night, illnesses, etc.)?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Chuck, thanks for the offer. I hope you get some questions. I see you still have an Olympic trach button.

How often are you having to suction?

Do you have the type where you have to switch pacers back and forth from the left and right every 12 hours or do you have the type that allows you to pace both sides at all times?

Have you had to have any revision of your system over the years?

Do you use a vent at all (at night, illnesses, etc.)?

(KLD)
    Hi KLD, actually, it's not an Olympic trach button, but it is similar. I found the Olympic version stuck out too far and the company wasn't willing to modify the design. The button I have was custom made by the Engineering dept at Yale New Haven hospital, which is where I go for any pacing issues.

I get suctioned 8-12 times in a 24 hour period. Some days less often, depends on how often I eat/drink.

I pace on both sides at the same time, 24/7 and have been since 1981.

Yes, the last update to the equipment was made 4 years ago.

Here's a link to the manufacturer: http://www.averylabs.com/index.html

Chuck