Thread: Ceiling Track Lifts; Types

Ceiling Track Lifts; Types

Hi All,

I am researching/shopping for a Ceiling Track Lift. I recently called a few company's for literature and have researched here at CC. I ''need'' to get one soon for my living dynamics/help has changed greatly.

Here at CC it is the Sure Hands set up that seems to be the predominant lift that most have in ceiling lifts. Preliminarily, I'm not sure Sure Hands is best for me for I'm a C-4/5 with beat up shoulders. I think a body sling may be better.

I partially demoed a sling set up at the Dis Expo, and I felt secure hanging in mid air.

Does anyone have/use, have any info at all on the following Ceiling Track Lifts ? KLD or OTR,,,,,, your opinion,,,,,,,,,,,

*BHM Vogager--Canada

*Guldman--Fla

*Horcher--Fla

Waverley Glen

Moving Solutions

Sure Hands

All and any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Freej

Ceiling lifts aren't my forte, but we have Horcher lifts installed in just about every room on our inpatient unit and two in our OT clinic. They have worked reliably over the year or so that we have them. They are also compatible with Hoyer and Invacare style slings. The tracks and anchoring hardware are industrial strength, so I'm not sure they can be installed in all residential structures.

Well, I am considered an authority on ceiling tract lifts and teach their use as part of a Safe Patient Handling and Movement program for hospitals (recently mandated for the VA, and required in most of Europe, Canada and Australia).

Do you need ceiling installed so that you can travel from one room to the next? Do you want to use it in more than one location in the home?

Do you live in rental property or own your home? Is it single story with an attic, or a multi-unit dwelling with a neighbor above you? What is the type of construction?

Ceiling lifts can be ceiling (actually beam) mounted, wall mounted, or free standing based on your individual needs.

Pretty much all the companies that you list have decent products. Some sell more to institutional settings rather than home settings (like Liko or Arjo), while others (SureHands) sell more to the home market.

Pretty much all of them will come to your home and do a free designe and estimate. Consider the following when selecting:
    • The local vendor. Is he/she accessible and available if you should have problems with the motor for a quick loaner while yours is being repaired?
    • Who does the actual installation? I prefer a company that works on a regular basis with the manufacturer. You want to avoid a company they recommend that has never actually done an installation for them.
    • How does it attach to the ceiling or walls? How sturdy is it?
    • What range and types of slings are available?
    • How is it charged? Some must be plugged in to a wall socket. Others are continuously charged, while others must be in a charge position to charge. The continuous charging ones in a wet (bathroom) location concern me.
    • Be sure you get a sling that can be easily removed and placed while you are sitting in your wheelchair or on a commode or shower seat. You should not sit in the sling all day. Get several slings so you can launder them if they get soiled.
    Personally, I really like Guldman and wished we had gotten them instead of the Arjo ceiling track lifts we purchased 7 years ago or the Liko we have purchased recently. BHM for institutional use was bought out by Arjo, and I don't think you can still get them in the USA. Surehands may be an option, but be sure you try out their body-gripping sling first before you decide as some find it very uncomfortable.

Overall they are wonderful. No need to store anyplace like a floor-based lift, can be used in a variety of situations and by just about anyone. My 86 year old father lifts my totally dependent mother in a ceiling track lift several times daily with no problems.

(KLD)

Ceiling Lifts

Hi, I have been in the Health Care manufacturing side for 25 years and I can give you two authorative answers to your question.

Best Ceiling Track system you can get [not the cheapest ] is Guldmann. They have been in this feild for over 25 years, have an excelent product, with a large variety of specialized attachments, are leaders in this field and stand by their product 100%. You will not be disapointed.

Never get T.H.E. Medicals [ Recovercare] system I have documented proof that they use sub standard components in their products, that could result in serious accidents.

I have documents explaining the problem and letters from senior management verifying that this happened. When this problem was exposed to Recovercare their response was to put the gentleman who approved the use of the sub standard components in charge of the investigation to resolve the problem. Not very reasuring.
    Last edited by davetherave1945; 10-09-2009 at 08:29 AM.

try waverly-glen they are a lot easier to work with than guldmenn.we have had ours installed for a year and are still waiting for a return call from guldmann.

I have a Horcher model C (barrier free lift before Horcher bought them) for 10 years it's been very good, I just use it to get in & out of bed & Shower chair. But what KLD said is a good guide to go by, my repair guy is 100 miles away (so far it has not stop working knot no wood) had batt. replaced & the strap in it replaced.