Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: funding for grad school: out of state

funding for grad school: out of state

I'm looking to enter a graduate program next year. Every school that offers the program I'm pursuing is out-of-state, thus tuition is significantly more. e.g.: #1 school on my list, +$11k/yr over in-state tuition @ this year's rates.

Does anyone here have any tips on national funding resources (grants/scholarships/etc)? I'd like to exhaust all available options before looking into a loan. I've got some contacts with a couple schools for possible assistantships, but they're competitive... we'll see.

There's gotta be something out there on a national level that's disability-specific, yes/no?

my current starting point:

http://www.disabilityinfo.gov/digov-...tFolderId=5097

I need more targeted info though. Any input would be great.

I'm in VA. Top 3 schools on my list are in: NC, NY, IN.

This is something I'm interested in too. I'm in grad school as well. My tuition would be paid if I were able to go full-time and work a 10 hr/wk GA, but I am only able to go part time due to my health. I have not had much luck finding financial help (other than loans).

Try Swim with Mike at http://www.swimwithmike.org/

they are a wonderful foundation and very generous.
    Frankly, I'm tired of sitting in this damn electric chair.

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Here's a list of cheap online grad degrees if that's of interest. The national average for a grad degree (not sure if it's by a specific discipline) from an accredited institution is over $18,000. My school has an MSIS at just over 8k and MSIA under 10k. http://www.geteducated.com/rankings/best_computer.asp

Even better yet, you could take a few classes from someone I know very well.

Danine - I hear ya. What school? UNCG is on my list.

Chef - interesting, thanks. Looks like a cool group.

Honcho - as fun as it'd be to take a class or two from you, I'm looking to get away from computer work.

What program(s) are you looking at, Scott? As you said, GA spots can be hard to get, but make programs very affordable.

Just one program, Therapeutic Recreation. It typically gets classified as a concentration under a Recreation degree, depending on the school.

For anyone who has secured a GA position, was it offered to you (after applying for it) prior to meeting any faculty? This would be a case in one of the schools I'm looking at (IU), as I may not make a visit before applying for admission.

Hi Scott, I'm at UNCC. There's a thing (at least at UNCC) called a Graduate Assistant Student Program (GASP). The department offered this to me after I was accepted. I originally planned to take it--I was admitted prior to my SCI--but have not been able to take advantage of it because my health has not allowed me to meet the requirements. It requires full-time status plus a 10 hr/wk Graduate Assistantship. It's great if you can do it because it pays tuition and a small monthly stipend.

danine - right on.