Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: funding for grad school: out of state

  1. #1

    funding for grad school: out of state

    I'm looking to enter a graduate program next year. Every school that offers the program I'm pursuing is out-of-state, thus tuition is significantly more. e.g.: #1 school on my list, +$11k/yr over in-state tuition @ this year's rates.

    Does anyone here have any tips on national funding resources (grants/scholarships/etc)? I'd like to exhaust all available options before looking into a loan. I've got some contacts with a couple schools for possible assistantships, but they're competitive... we'll see.

    There's gotta be something out there on a national level that's disability-specific, yes/no?

  2. #2
    my current starting point:

    I need more targeted info though. Any input would be great.

    I'm in VA. Top 3 schools on my list are in: NC, NY, IN.

  3. #3
    This is something I'm interested in too. I'm in grad school as well. My tuition would be paid if I were able to go full-time and work a 10 hr/wk GA, but I am only able to go part time due to my health. I have not had much luck finding financial help (other than loans).

  4. #4
    Try Swim with Mike at

    they are a wonderful foundation and very generous.
    Frankly, I'm tired of sitting in this damn electric chair.

    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

  5. #5
    Here's a list of cheap online grad degrees if that's of interest. The national average for a grad degree (not sure if it's by a specific discipline) from an accredited institution is over $18,000. My school has an MSIS at just over 8k and MSIA under 10k.

    Even better yet, you could take a few classes from someone I know very well.

  6. #6
    Danine - I hear ya. What school? UNCG is on my list.

    Chef - interesting, thanks. Looks like a cool group.

    Honcho - as fun as it'd be to take a class or two from you, I'm looking to get away from computer work.

  7. #7
    What program(s) are you looking at, Scott? As you said, GA spots can be hard to get, but make programs very affordable.

  8. #8
    Just one program, Therapeutic Recreation. It typically gets classified as a concentration under a Recreation degree, depending on the school.

    For anyone who has secured a GA position, was it offered to you (after applying for it) prior to meeting any faculty? This would be a case in one of the schools I'm looking at (IU), as I may not make a visit before applying for admission.

  9. #9
    Hi Scott, I'm at UNCC. There's a thing (at least at UNCC) called a Graduate Assistant Student Program (GASP). The department offered this to me after I was accepted. I originally planned to take it--I was admitted prior to my SCI--but have not been able to take advantage of it because my health has not allowed me to meet the requirements. It requires full-time status plus a 10 hr/wk Graduate Assistantship. It's great if you can do it because it pays tuition and a small monthly stipend.

  10. #10
    danine - right on.

Similar Threads

  1. Christopher Reeve Foundation Opposes Administration's Research Budget
    By Leif in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 02-10-2006, 07:10 PM
  2. North Carolina legislator seeks $10 million state funding for embryonic stem cells
    By Wise Young in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2005, 08:17 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-16-2002, 11:50 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2002, 04:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts