Thread: skin spray and stem cells

skin spray and stem cells

skin spray[stem cells] and regenerative institute of medicine armed forces usa
    http://www.insidetech.com/news/2443-...ative-medicine
    The newest development in progress by AFIRM is nothing less than spray-on skin. The process involves harvesting cells known as keratinocytes from a patient’s own skin. Keratinocytes are immature skin cells, which the body constantly produces to create new skin tissue as surface tissue dies. The cells are put into a solution which is then sprayed over a wound.
    Clinical trials with the process involved 16 burn patients and showed extremely promising results. Not only did the cells promote growth in the wounds, the recovery time was similar to skin grafting, the standard approach to burn repairs, but without the complications or aesthetic scarring involved.
    While the $250 million project is aimed at helping our military men and women, the results of the hard work by AFIRM members will no doubt spill over into civilian medicine, much the way most military technology eventually does. If doctors can print new organs and skin in the battlefield, they can do it at accident scenes on domestic soil. AFIRM may enable one of the most significant leaps in regenerative medicine in history, all thanks to stem cells of various construction and the human desire to help those who have helped and protected us.
    Last edited by adi chicago; 07-20-2008 at 08:36 AM.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

I wonder if this spray can help sci civilians to treat pressure sores.It is avalaible on the market?
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

I've not heard of anything like that on the market adi, or I'd be going on about it here. Sounds like science fiction, doesn't it? Well I hope it does come to fruition! I know that they've been trying to grow skin in petri dishes for ages for burn patients. This sounds much better than that!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I have heard and seen presentations of this technology. It is interesting and should be useful but the fact that it is sprayed on does not solve the problem of cell source and immune matching. Wise.

how are the cells harvested from the patient's own skin? wouldn't that take care of the cell source and matching?