Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Mentor/coloplast self cath Plus vs Plus soft

  1. #1

    Mentor/coloplast self cath Plus vs Plus soft

    I had some samples of the Plus soft [4112] caths from mentor/coloplast and liked them. I ordered them from ccs but they sent me the regular Plus [4412] ones instead. Funny thing tho they seem rather soft, reminds of the ones I sampled. Unfortunately I don't have the samples anymore so I thought I'd ask if any of you guys noticed a real difference between them. Or I wonder if coloplast has changed the Plus cath to make it softer. thanx.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

  2. #2
    Senior Member ChesBay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Coastal Virginia
    Posts
    1,675
    Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky
    I had some samples of the Plus soft [4112] caths from mentor/coloplast and liked them. I ordered them from ccs but they sent me the regular Plus [4412] ones instead. Funny thing tho they seem rather soft, reminds of the ones I sampled. Unfortunately I don't have the samples anymore so I thought I'd ask if any of you guys noticed a real difference between them. Or I wonder if coloplast has changed the Plus cath to make it softer. thanx.
    I recently got an order from CCS where we agreed to Mentor Caths 14fr. over the phone. It is the brand and model I have used many years. I was surprised to receive Coloplast 14fr caths.... they seem basically the same but packaged differently and therefore shaped differently which makes it a bit more akward for me to use product. I will have to look closer at the rigdity / softness, that may be why I am finding a difference.

    On the packing slip for my insurance company order is listed as the "Mentor 14's" as originally ordered. I called and they claim mentor / coloplast are one and the same ( Coloplast owns Mentor now?) I still felt, "call them what they are" on official record ( ins. packing slip) and would have preferred to be told up front I would be getting a different item.

    Slightly different situation but thought I would mention because it involves CCS and second order I have gotten from them that has had problems with switched items. If it becomes a pattern I will change providers.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay
    [...] Coloplast owns Mentor now?
    Coloplast bought out Mentor in June '06 but has just recently completed re-labeling and re-packaging Mentor catheters under Coloplast's name. I'm not sure that the products have been redesgned or reformulated. A phone call or email to Coloplast might evoke some info. Contact info is at the contact page at ucc.coloplast.com. - fw

  4. #4
    Senior Member MikeC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,228
    Leschinsky, I'm not sure about the numbers but I got soft catheters made by Mentor and now I get them in a green box from Coloplast. The soft makes a big difference to me in inserting the catheter. Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

  5. #5
    Senior Member ChesBay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Coastal Virginia
    Posts
    1,675
    Quote Originally Posted by firewheels
    Coloplast bought out Mentor in June '06 but has just recently completed re-labeling and re-packaging Mentor catheters under Coloplast's name. I'm not sure that the products have been redesgned or reformulated. A phone call or email to Coloplast might evoke some info.
    Thanks firewheels. That makes sense. I am giving the Coloplast a try and will most likely get used to them. as w/many things when I find something that works I balk a bit at change ...

    will keep contact info in mind.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL USA
    Posts
    1,642
    I started using Mentor Freedom catheters when they first came out in 1982. When I got discharged from rehab they handed me a case of 100 and said "try these out and let us know what you think".

    It was when they were first changing over from the original "Texas catheter" which had a band that wrap around the outside of the catheter rather than an internal self-adhesive.

    Yes, Mentor sold the Freedom Catheter line to another company and I have recently stopped using them because they were no longer reliable. I got a series of bad batches and they were coming off left and right. Replacement orders, original orders, it messed me up for months and I no longer have the confidence in their product I once did. I am now using the ultra flex from Rochester and I am getting satisfactory results.

  7. #7
    Well nevermind once I actually used it I could tell a difference in the stiffness. I guess I'll have to call ccs again. thanks guys.

    eta Mike mine came in a greenbox too but they're not the soft ones.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Cris
    Yes, Mentor sold the Freedom Catheter line to another company and I have recently stopped using them because they were no longer reliable. I got a series of bad batches and they were coming off left and right. Replacement orders, original orders, it messed me up for months and I no longer have the confidence in their product I once did. I am now using the ultra flex from Rochester and I am getting satisfactory results.
    Same here Cris.....been blowing 'em off a lot lately, and being at work fulltime, Ive been stressing when I hafta go. Thank GOd I can "hold it" a few minutes til I get to the can. There I can make sure things are good. So far Ive been able to detect a problem before it became a mess. Need to look at other catheters to see what works. Hate like hell to start over again...

  9. #9
    nevermind again i've decided to keep the caths because I think they go in easier/faster than the soft ones due to my quad hands. just thought I'd post that if any quads read this thread.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

  10. #10
    Senior Member Broknwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,742
    For clarification-
    Coloplast bought Mentor last year(as someone else mentioned)...The mentor straight caths are exactly the same as the newly labeled Coloplast ones(Can't say anything about externals as I wouldn't be one to use them)...The only difference between the same reference number on Mentor and Coloplast is the packaging...I have both side to side of mine and they're exactly the same...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

    "My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-25-2004, 01:42 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2004, 04:36 AM
  3. INCONTINANCE/BLADDER CATH QUESTION
    By kngtreeman in forum Care
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-16-2002, 08:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •