Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Introductions

Howdy all,

Just wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself. I hope this is the right place. Although I've read quite a bit of Dr. Young's prolific writing in the past year, I just stumbled across this site.

Hopefully I can learn from all of you and perhaps offer my perspective on pertinent topics as well.

Caregiver is the wrong term for me as my wife is nearly 100% independent. We're both very new at this, one year post injury, C6/7 incomplete ASIA C. Still, my role and interest in talking to you all most closely meets the caregiver category.

Anyway, pleased to met you and look forward to reading more of your thoughts.

HI, espousal, and welcome. Please feel free to join in any of the fracas or discussions on any of the forums!

I'm trying to get some dialogue going for our dads and husbands, I hope you'll join in. Please go to the topic here.

Hi, my name is Marie, my husband's injury is c-5,6 complete, asia a. he is 32 years post and we have been married 27 years. I was the primary caregiver but now our son gets him up and puts him in bed(I am one year post spinal fusion S1 L5). I do the personal care. We split the life chores: i do the house stuff and he (my husband) does the bills, thank God for the internet and bill payer~I hate paper work! We both entertain the grandkids. No pets.

[This message was edited by Marie2 on 12-23-03 at 06:09 PM.]

Hello to all!!

I am mom to Heather, age 11, T-12, 3 years post. She also had right arm compartment syndrome that affected the use of her right hand. She is getting more independent all the time. We do still help her some with dressing as she still has some trouble with that sometimes. She still rides her horse and 4 wheeler. Excellent student and loves to read. My hubby is a great help with caring for her and her 14 year old brother is great too when he likes her. Sibling rivalry!!

I work full time as a secretary at a feed mill. I usually put in about 55 hours a week. I think I am nuts for tackling that job sometimes!!

Hello, Maria, and welcome. What a lot of experience you must have! We welcome you to share if you wish, or just join in!

LauraD - New welcome to an 'old' member!

Thank you Marmalady, I am really happy that I found this wonderful community. I have learned a lot in just the short time I have been reading the posts here. The people who post here have impressed me with their courage and their great spirit.

Just thought I'd bump this up in case there are some newbies lurking ....... Welcome if there is !!!

Obieone

I am the primary care giver to my fiance. We were in a single car accident on July 12 2003. She is a c5/c6 complete. She is 26. I also have an eight year old son that lives with us most of the week. I think I take a lot of time away from him because I am busy with her. So far he has been o.k. with the situation. We just bought a house so hopefully the will be some kids his age in the neiborhood that he can play with.

One year after my husband's accident, I'd almost hate to call myself a caregiver because he is nearly 100% independent. He is a T8 complete para, he was hit from behind by a semi while stopped in construction traffic. Accident date 7/14/03, so we are approaching the one year anniversary. Speaking of anniversaries, we had been engaged two weeks at the time of the accident and we got married in January 2004.

Well I'm so glad I bumped this thread up .... and welcome Belle and 350 ...... sorry you had to find us but you will be very glad you did! CareCure is a wealth of SCI info and support. I found it in its infancy the year my husband Bill was injured and its been an integral part of my life ever since. Even if you "lurk" until you're comfortable to participate with questions ... it serves it purpose!

I'm like you Belle - my spouse is T5 complete and pretty much independant. I suppose I'm more of his advocate than his caregiver but he has had health issues the last year and I was most definitely his caregiver during that time! We are also "alittle" older than some and certainly age plays a big part in this!

Be sure and visit the Family forum 350 I am sure you will find issues of concern there that will be helpful to you!

Obieone