Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Introductions

Intro

Hello
    I have a 21 yr.old son who is c/5 complete 5 yrs. post diving accident. My son is 6'4" tall so our days are always a challenge. In the blink of an eye we went from looking into colleges with good athletic programs to ADA programs. He has a great attitude, that really helps get through the tough times. I hope through this forum we can share thoughts and ideas that ultimately benefit ourselves and the people we care for.

Happy to join the company here! Ditto on the thanks to Dr.Young!!!!!!

My husband was hurt cutting wood May '98 and is T5 complete. He is 54 years old and is a real mans man. He is pretty much independant with the usual every day stuff, but I have often wondered how it would go if I disappeared for a week leaving him to fend for himself completely . . . I don't think it could happen! Or could it????

intros

Hi there! My husbaand ia T-4, 4yrs. post. We have been married for a year. We have learned a lot from each other and continue to grow. His attitiude and sense of humor is awesome and he si THE love of my life!!!

Intro

Hi Martha,
    we have already chatted, but here is my info for others.

I am the caregiver for my life partner, Steve. He was injured in August of 1999. He sustained a SCI (T-3/4)and a TBI as a result of the accident.
    After initial hospital visit of about 6.5 months, he went on to TIRR for his inpatient rehab. Don't get me started on TIRR Hospital

He is about to complete a series of PT at TIRR outpatient and then possibly go on to the Challange Program for brain injuries.

We spend our time combing enjoying life and working on therapy and advocating for his medical care.

I have decided that I will give a standing ovation to our current President only if he amends his decision on stem cells. But it doesn't mean that we don't grieve for our fallen American brothers and sisters.

Russ Byrd

Hello

My son is 3 year post injury C5/C6 requiring very little care at this point. He needs some help dressing but handles his personal care himself now, it was much different when he first came home. My wife and I put in some tough days back then, not to mention what he was going through.

He is back to school doing very well and soon will be driving on his own.

It does get better!

Hi, I'm Mandy. I am also the sole care provider for my husband. He is 15 years post. C-5 from a truck wreck when he was 17. We have been married for about 1 1/2 years.

Wife of a SCI C3, 5 months Post

Hi I'm new to this site and a wife of sci. I think it is truely awesome to have this forum to go to share information and experiences. My husband is C3, vent dependent, 5 months post, he is still at a rehab that isn't SCI - what a nightmare. I'm hoping to connect with a support group in my area but haven't had much success yet.

There is so much information that we need about dealing with sci, financial resources, home modifications, etc, Our goal is to go home and continue our life together.

Would love to connect with others who would be willing to share information with me about sci and steps necessary to go home.

Introduction

Hello Caregivers,

This forum has helped me immensely. I am very appreciative that I can read about the feelings and life experiences of SCI individuals and their caregivers.

My 26 year old son's two year anniversary is today. He is a T3 and T11 incomplete SCI patient with harrington rods aligning his spine. He is personally independent, although, I take care of the garden, shopping etc. Our biggest challenge is the constant pain that he endures and the negative impact on his life. If he could get past the pain, I remain hopeful he could start to participate in wheel chair basketball or other sports.

In the last three weeks he started taking an anti-depressant, began attending a pain clinic, started taking 4-AP, and taking acupunture treatments. I hope with all my heart this help relief the pain.

Thank you for all being here.

Take Care, Alice

Yep, just call me Mr. Mom.

My name is Joseph, My son Justin is C4,C5, 23 years old almost 3 years post injury. He's alot more adjusted to this then I am.Being a caregiver has its rewards but I can't think of to many accept it's brought me closer to my son. I thought we were close before but this is rediculous. Just kidding!Next phase for us is getting him more independent. I think our largest task to date.

TO MCCC2

I can connect you with support in the Boston area, I just need to be able to contact you. If anyone here has had direct contact with mcc2, please forward on this email.
    Thanks