Thread: What is normal C-spinal cord diameter?

What is normal C-spinal cord diameter?

I'm just wondering what the normal diameter of the cervical spinal cord is supposed to be.

I have some stenosis of the cord from c4 to t2. I paid a neurosurgeon out of pocket to fix c5/6 about a year and a half ago since it was the worst of the lot knowing full well that the others had to be done eventually. I didnt get much relief from that surgery except the radicular symptoms improved somewhat.

I was reading the operative report the other day as part of the records I was taking to the VA doctor I have started seeing. It states in the report that he did not decompress the spinal cord during the surgery even though the MRI report says that the compression was rated severe (5 mm?) and the others were not much better. I thought that was what I paid him to do. If the doctor didnt decompress the spinal cord, then it is no wonder I havent seen any improvements.

What C-cord diameter qualifies as severe compression?
    What C-cord diameter qualifies as moderate compression?
    What C-cord diameter qualifies as mild compression?

Any info would be appreciated
    Thanks, amy
    Last edited by skippy13; 07-21-2008 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    I'm just wondering what the normal diameter of the cervical spinal cord is supposed to be.

I have some stenosis of the cord from c4 to t2. I paid a neurosurgeon out of pocket to fix c5/6 about a year and a half ago since it was the worst of the lot knowing full well that the others had to be done eventually. I didnt get much relief from that surgery except the radicular symptoms improved somewhat.

I was reading the operative report the other day as part of the records I was taking to the VA doctor I have started seeing. It states in the report that he did not decompress the spinal cord during the surgery even though the MRI report says that the compression was rated severe (5 mm?) and the others were not much better. I thought that was what I paid him to do. If the doctor didnt decompress the spinal cord, then it is no wonder I havent seen any improvements.

What C-cord diameter qualifies as severe compression?
    What C-cord diameter qualifies as moderate compression?
    What C-cord diameter qualifies as mild compression?

Any info would be appreciated
    Thanks, amy
    Amy, I am sorry that I didn't answer this earlier. Here is an article that explains how doctors measure stenosis. The canal size varies a great deal depending on the age, gender, and other factors. The way that this variability is accounted for is to compare the spinal canal diameter with vertebral diameter. This is called the Torq ratio. The attached paper shows how it is done.

Wise.

Thanks for the info. I forgot all about this question. I'll have to dig up the records again and see what it says.