Thread: the cause of delayed sensation

the cause of delayed sensation

For some reason I have no touch sensation but if something touches me long enough I begain to feel it. Like if my leg is hanging out of the covers at night I will eventually feel it. or I eventually feel tight stockings on my legs. What would cause this?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S
    For some reason I have no touch sensation but if something touches me long enough I begain to feel it. Like if my leg is hanging out of the covers at night I will eventually feel it. or I eventually feel tight stockings on my legs. What would cause this?
    Eric,

Your spinal cord contains mechanisms that "gate" sensations. For example, your spinal cord normally "accomodates" to all types of sensations and ignores them. Most people don't feel the fact that they are wearing clothes. In fact, the loss of such accomodative mechanisms is very uncomfortable and may be part of the mechanism underlying neuropathic pain. In any case, I suspect that your accomodative mechanisms may be overactive and gating sensations that are coming into the spinal cord, not allowing them to pass until some time later. This may explain the fact that you are sensing them late.

Wise.

I am a c5 complete, however have fairly good sensation in my feet, around groin area, and abdomen, more on the left side. I too have delayed sensation where when showered after water is sprayed on my legs for several seconds I begin to feel the flowing water front to back, but it always feels cold regardless of water temperature. I have no feeling in my hands but if each finger is lightly pinched I begin to get a pins & needles like feeling and I can tell you which finger you are touching.
    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

I too get the Delayed Sensations. My Cord is not severed, its (Contusion??) and "mangled" damage.
    Sort of Seems I can feel sitting, pushing, and deep rubbing. And as if I can feel pressure sensation in my muscles. I know some is ghost feelings and some are not.

ex 1. If I was to skip a day of leg exercise I would Notice extreme stiffness & burning the following day. Likewise If I was to exercise it would take a day before the Stiffness/Burning subsides.
    ex 2. If I was to Twist/Stub/Burn irritate something, it would take about a day before I would feel it. Not to full sensation, but almost enough to know the cause.
    ex3. If i was to rub a spot where my skin was irritated, cut, or burn etc. I could slightly feel the rubbing on those spots

Lately though..
    Within the last few weeks Iv Noticed that Delay has substantially shorted. It now takes less then an hour before I notice the sensation. My legs get Stiff in a much shorter period of time (much less then a day as previously) And if I exercise them when they are stiff, I can immediately feel the stretching. (Can now feel the cath to some extent aswell, Ill take the good with the bad)

Makes me wonder how would that 4AP drug affect me??

Quote Originally Posted by patricks
    I too get the Delayed Sensations. My Cord is not severed, its (Contusion??) and "mangled" damage.
    Sort of Seems I can feel sitting, pushing, and deep rubbing. And as if I can feel pressure sensation in my muscles. I know some is ghost feelings and some are not.

ex 1. If I was to skip a day of leg exercise I would Notice extreme stiffness & burning the following day. Likewise If I was to exercise it would take a day before the Stiffness/Burning subsides.
    ex 2. If I was to Twist/Stub/Burn irritate something, it would take about a day before I would feel it. Not to full sensation, but almost enough to know the cause.
    ex3. If i was to rub a spot where my skin was irritated, cut, or burn etc. I could slightly feel the rubbing on those spots

Lately though..
    Within the last few weeks Iv Noticed that Delay has substantially shorted. It now takes less then an hour before I notice the sensation. My legs get Stiff in a much shorter period of time (much less then a day as previously) And if I exercise them when they are stiff, I can immediately feel the stretching. (Can now feel the cath to some extent aswell, Ill take the good with the bad)

Makes me wonder how would that 4AP drug affect me??
    I have the exact experiences you mentioned.

I tried 4ap, it increased the sensations but not much else. wasn't worth anxiety attacks and dizzyness I got from it. You should try it though, maybe your experience will be different. I didnt have a good reaction to it.