Thread: Mri >>>> Please Explain The This Stuff

Mri >>>> Please Explain The This Stuff

can anyone explain the following to me
    there is moderate anterior compression deformity localizing to the T12 level.bulging discs are noted at several levels there is linier T2 several increase compression fractures at the T12 L1
    there is linear T2 signal increase noted originating slightly cephalad relative to the T5 area and most prominent here but extending distally throughout the length of the canal. this measures 3mm in size maximally at the T5 level and less so within the caudal portions of the spinal cord this is felt to represent prominent central canal versus syrinx formation Scoliosis with pronounced degenerative disc disease and osteoarthrithritis. compression fractures at the T12 and L1
    there is moderate midlumbar scolisiosis which is convex to the left side Marked is based narrowing is present at the L1-to come L2-L3 and L3-L4 l1-to come L2-3,l3-l4 AND L5-S1 moderate anterior wedge deformity of the T12 appears chronic. Osteophytes are located through the lumbar spine with disc desiccation
    bilateral laminectomy defects from prior surgery, there is marked laminectomy change involving the posterior elements on the side Menial asymmetric left-sided posterior vertebral osteophyte is present There is asymmetric signal within the left lateral spinal canal which abuts the thecal sac and is most likely related to scar.Diffuse anterior osteophyte is present with no definite disc herniation The L5-S1 neural foramen is narrowed.

What does all this mean ? signal etc. and why would my doctor mention CANCER in my back ????? Please help me deceiver this mumbo jumbo..
    THANK YOU
    BJ:confused::confused::

I can't speak as to the rest of the report, but to the best of my knowlege you do not have cancer. Osteophytes are bone spurs, not a malignancy. Hopefully Dr. Young will be able to explain the rest to you, good luck.

Tom

LYRICA does help some of us

Thanks tom I hope dr young explains it i'll keep checking back
    thank you for taking the time to reply, i really appreiate it
    bj(wilber)

Quote Originally Posted by wiilber
    can anyone explain the following to me
    there is moderate anterior compression deformity localizing to the T12 level.bulging discs are noted at several levels there is linier T2 several increase compression fractures at the T12 L1
    there is linear T2 signal increase noted originating slightly cephalad relative to the T5 area and most prominent here but extending distally throughout the length of the canal. this measures 3mm in size maximally at the T5 level and less so within the caudal portions of the spinal cord this is felt to represent prominent central canal versus syrinx formation Scoliosis with pronounced degenerative disc disease and osteoarthrithritis. compression fractures at the T12 and L1
    there is moderate midlumbar scolisiosis which is convex to the left side Marked is based narrowing is present at the L1-to come L2-L3 and L3-L4 l1-to come L2-3,l3-l4 AND L5-S1 moderate anterior wedge deformity of the T12 appears chronic. Osteophytes are located through the lumbar spine with disc desiccation
    bilateral laminectomy defects from prior surgery, there is marked laminectomy change involving the posterior elements on the side Menial asymmetric left-sided posterior vertebral osteophyte is present There is asymmetric signal within the left lateral spinal canal which abuts the thecal sac and is most likely related to scar.Diffuse anterior osteophyte is present with no definite disc herniation The L5-S1 neural foramen is narrowed.

What does all this mean ? signal etc. and why would my doctor mention CANCER in my back ????? Please help me deceiver this mumbo jumbo..
    THANK YOU
    BJ:

wiilibur, please make sure that what you have typed here is correct. Words appear to be missing, mispelled, and jumbled up. Make sure that you have typed in exactly what the report says or ask somebody else to type it in.

Based on what you have typed here, let me summarize what appears to be the findings:
    1. You have a lumbar scoliosis.
    2. You have compression fractures of T12 and L1.
    3. You have a 3-mm widened central canal from T5 to lower cord.
    4. You may have herniated discs and osteophytes at multiple levels.
    5. The foramina for L5/S1 is narrowed.

I will interpret this after you include a more clearly typed report.

Wise.

Oh my gawd, Wiilbur, someone whose MRI is more confusing than mine were. What it basically meant in my case , I was really ____ed up. I never had anyone really explain all of it to me, the end result was, by the time I'd go in for MRI, I had so much damage done that it was surgery for me.I had 13 on my back b4 the last one (which turned into two. went in on monday, expected to go home in 3 days, woke up dr says, wellp, we couldn't do it all, we'll finish er up next Mon.) WTH, then they screw it up, make sure you get good explaination's and good dr too. Good luck my friend, stick in there, they fixed me up in all first 13 surgeries, I played basketball and hunted , fished, did it all. So i just pushed the odds a bit too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    wiilibur, please make sure that what you have typed here is correct. Words appear to be missing, mispelled, and jumbled up. Make sure that you have typed in exactly what the report says or ask somebody else to type it in.

Based on what you have typed here, let me summarize what appears to be the findings:
    1. You have a lumbar scoliosis.
    2. You have compression fractures of T12 and L1.
    3. You have a 3-mm widened central canal from T5 to lower cord.
    4. You may have herniated discs and osteophytes at multiple levels.
    5. The foramina for L5/S1 is narrowed.

I will interpret this after you include a more clearly typed report.

Wise.

Let me explain the above.

• A scoliosis is an S-shaped curvature of the spine. In your case, it is in the lower (lumbar). Scoliosis is usually S-shaped because the curvature at one level must be balance by curvature in the opposite direction at another level, or else you would not be able to site straight. The report did not say how severe the scoliosis is. This is usually measured in degrees. It would be useful to know the severity of the curvature so that you can compare it with previous and future images of your spine, to be able determine whether it is worsening. If it is getting worse, surgery and instrumentation may be required to straighten out and prevent further curvature.

• The compression fracture of T12 to L1 is likely to be your original spinal cord injury. Note that L1 is right at the end of your spinal cord. Below L1, there is only cauda equina or the spinal roots. Injury to T12 and L1 usually results in flaccid paralysis due to damage to the lumbosacral cord. The report says that you have a laminectomy at the site. It is very likely that your scoliosis resulted from damage to your vertebra at T12 and L1 which caused a curvature and you developed a compensating scoliosis.

• You have an widened central canal. This is usually a tiny canal that is located in the central part of the spinal cord and is typically 1 mm or less in diameter. Yours is 3 mm in at T5 and extends to the lower spinal cord. It is not wide enough to call a syringomyelic cyst and you probably don't need to worry about this. It is not sufficient to be causing any neurological problems.

• You have disc hernations and osteophytes at multiple levels. Osteophytes are bone spurs and usually indicate osteoarthritis. This is indicative of spinal degeneration. Because the report was so mixed up, I could not tell which levels were involved but the only place where the spinal cord or spinal roots may be involved is around the laminectomy site at T12/L1 and the L5/S1 nerve root (the report did not say which side).

I don't see anything in the report that talks about cancer. I am also not sure whether there is anything in the report that suggests the need for surgical intervention. Are you have pain or neurological changes?

Wise.

mri ..... please explain I can not

. Sagittal and axial T1 images before and after intravenous contast in sagittal and axial T2 images were one
    Findings: There is moderate midlumbar scoliosis which is convex to the left side. Marked is based narrowing is present at L1-to come L2-3 and L3-4 L1-to come L2-3, L3-4 and L5-S1. Moderate anterior wedge deformity of T12 appears chronic. Osteophytes are located throughout the lumbar spine with disc desiccation.
    The conus is normal in signal intensity and morphology.
    L5-S1:Bilateral laminectomy defects from prior surgery. There is marked proliferative change involving the posterior elements on the side. Minimal asymmetric left-sided posterior vertebral osteophyte is present. There is asymmetric signal within the left lateral spinal canal which abuts the thecal sac and is most likely related to scar. Diffuse anaterior osteophyte is present with no definite disc herniation. The left L5-S1 neutral foramen is moderately narrowed.
    L4-5
    Final
    There is no disc herniation. Both apophyseal joints are moderately hypertrophic, contributing to mild canal stenosis and moderate bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.
    L3-4
    Posterior vertebral osteophyte abuts the ventral aspect of the thecal sac and there is bilateral apophyseal joint perforation greater on right side. These changes contribute to mild canal stenosis.
    L2-3
    There is no disc herniation or canal stenosis. The right L2-3 neural foramen is moderate markedly narrowed.
    L1-2
    A diffuse disc bulge flattens the ventral thecal sac resulting in mild canal stenosis. Both neural foramina are moderately narrowed.
    T12-L1
    There is no disc herniation, canal ro foraminal stenosis
    Final
    T11-12
    Ther is no disc herniation, canal or foraminal stenosis
    Impression:
    1. Postoperative change at L5-S1. Asymmetric signal located lateral to the left side of the thecal sac is probably related to postoperative scar. Left-sided posterior vertebral osteophyte. There is no disc herniation or signigicant canal stenosis at this level.
    2. Mild canal stenosis L4-5 secondary to apophyseal joint proliferative changes.
    3. Mild canal stenosis at L3-4 secondary to posterior vertebral osteophyte and bilateral apophyseal joint proliferative changes.
    4. Mild canal stenosis at L1-2 secondary to a diffuse disc bulge.
    5. multilevel neural foraminal stenosis
    6. Moderate midlumbar levoscoliosis.Lumbar spine:
    Clinical indication: Increased low back pain: post laminectomy
    AP and lateral views of the spine were performed the lateral view was performed in flexicon and extension aw well is in neutral position. There is levoscoliosis. There has been a laminexctomy at L5 and S1. Four and L5 S1. Hypertrophic change and sclerosis is noted at these levels. There is anterior wedging of T12 and L1. THe T12 compression fracture is approximately a 60 percent compression. The L1 compression fracture is approximately 25 percent compression.

There is very limited motion on the flexion and extension images. There is no evidence of abnormal mobility or change in alignment. There is incidental note of vascular calcification. The sacrum is normal. SI joints are symmetric.

Impression:

Scoliosis with pronounced degenerative disc disease and osteoarthritis. Compression fractures Tqw and L1 as described. L5-S1 laminectomyMRI thoracic spine with and without contrast 5/22
    Comparison: 4-18-08 MRI Lumbar spine.

Findings: THere is a moderate anterior compression deformity localizing to the T12 level.. THis is unchanged compared to the prior examination. There is no evidence of acute vertebral body stature loss nor abnormal enhancement. Minimal bulging discs are noted at several levels but there is no evidence of spinal canal compromise.

There is linear T2 signal increase noted originating slightly cephalad relative to the T5 area and most prominent here but extending distally throughout the length of the canal. This measures approximately 2-3mm in size maximally at the T5 level and less so within the caudal protions of the spinal cord. THis is felt to represent prominent central canal versus syrinx formation.

Impression:
    1. Small thoracic spinal cord syrinx/enlarged central canal. There is not as associated abnormal enhancement, disc extrusion, or acute osseous abnormality

Oh man, your screwed. you know what those pics of the aliens look like that people draw after they've been abducted and impregnated by them look like?I think it says your disc's look that way. Its off to area 51 for you

Really dude, only the Dr's can do that stuff justice!

Question "MRI explanation " what does all this mean ????

I don't know what their talking about ????
    Can anyone help to put the reports in simple terms.

1. Sagittal and axial T1 images before and after intravenous contast in sagittal and axial T2 images were oneFindings: There is moderate midlumbar scoliosis which is convex to the left side. Marked is based narrowing is present at L1-to come L2-3 and L3-4 L1-to come L2-3, L3-4 and L5-S1. Moderate anterior wedge deformity of T12 appears chronic. Osteophytes are located throughout the lumbar spine with disc desiccation.The conus is normal in signal intensity and morphology.L5-S1:Bilateral laminectomy defects from prior surgery. There is marked proliferative change involving the posterior elements on the side. Minimal asymmetric left-sided posterior vertebral osteophyte is present. There is asymmetric signal within the left lateral spinal canal which abuts the thecal sac and is most likely related to scar. Diffuse anaterior osteophyte is present with no definite disc herniation. The left L5-S1 neutral foramen is moderately narrowed.L4-5FinalThere is no disc herniation. Both apophyseal joints are moderately hypertrophic, contributing to mild canal stenosis and moderate bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.L3-4Posterior vertebral osteophyte abuts the ventral aspect of the thecal sac and there is bilateral apophyseal joint perforation greater on right side. These changes contribute to mild canal stenosis.L2-3There is no disc herniation or canal stenosis. The right L2-3 neural foramen is moderate markedly narrowed.L1-2A diffuse disc bulge flattens the ventral thecal sac resulting in mild canal stenosis. Both neural foramina are moderately narrowed.T12-L1There is no disc herniation, canal ro foraminal stenosisFinalT11-12Ther is no disc herniation, canal or foraminal stenosisImpression:1. Postoperative change at L5-S1. Asymmetric signal located lateral to the left side of the thecal sac is probably related to postoperative scar. Left-sided posterior vertebral osteophyte. There is no disc herniation or signigicant canal stenosis at this level.2. Mild canal stenosis L4-5 secondary to apophyseal joint proliferative changes.3. Mild canal stenosis at L3-4 secondary to posterior vertebral osteophyte and bilateral apophyseal joint proliferative changes.4. Mild canal stenosis at L1-2 secondary to a diffuse disc bulge.5. multilevel neural foraminal stenosis6. Moderate midlumbar levoscoliosis.
    Lumbar spine:Clinical indication: Increased low back pain: post laminectomyAP and lateral views of the spine were performed the lateral view was performed in flexicon and extension aw well is in neutral position. There is levoscoliosis. There has been a laminexctomy at L5 and S1. Four and L5 S1. Hypertrophic change and sclerosis is noted at these levels. There is anterior wedging of T12 and L1. THe T12 compression fracture is approximately a 60 percent compression. The L1 compression fracture is approximately 25 percent compression. There is very limited motion on the flexion and extension images. There is no evidence of abnormal mobility or change in alignment. There is incidental note of vascular calcification. The sacrum is normal. SI joints are symmetric. Impression: Scoliosis with pronounced degenerative disc disease and osteoarthritis. Compression fractures Tqw and L1 as described. L5-S1 laminectomy
    MRI thoracic spine with and without contrast 5/22Comparison: 4-18-08 MRI Lumbar spine. Findings: THere is a moderate anterior compression deformity localizing to the T12 level.. THis is unchanged compared to the prior examination. There is no evidence of acute vertebral body stature loss nor abnormal enhancement. Minimal bulging discs are noted at several levels but there is no evidence of spinal canal compromise. There is linear T2 signal increase noted originating slightly cephalad relative to the T5 area and most prominent here but extending distally throughout the length of the canal. This measures approximately 2-3mm in size maximally at the T5 level and less so within the caudal protions of the spinal cord. THis is felt to represent prominent central canal versus syrinx formation. Impression:1. Small thoracic spinal cord syrinx/enlarged central canal. There is not as associated abnormal enhancement, disc extrusion, or acute osseous abnormality

Please help,,
    sunshine51